National Insurance - wrong details

National Insurance - wrong details

Postby Blake1 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:27 pm

I posted before stating that I am trying to get a job and they now want blood in terms of paperwork to justify my ability to work in the UK. Whilst digging around in the loft for my birth certificate I found some paperwork from way back.

I found my national insurance card that they give you when you are about 15, it has the wrong name on it! My parents split up when I was very young and my mum met somebody else and got married when I was about 5 or 6, she started calling me by his surname all through my school years but this was not in any way legal. once I was 17 and knew my own mind I decided to start calling myself by my name on the birth certificate, here's the question:

What if anything can be made of this as I have paid 22 years worth of NI against an upper case name that has never really been mine? Part of me thinks just leave it be but I thought I would flag this as it may have some use on this forum concerning the whole issue of strawman/names etc.

Greg
Blake1

Re: National Insurance - wrong details

Postby MikeThomas » Wed May 27, 2009 12:31 pm

Hi Greg;
It does'nt matter what you call yourself. The NI number never changes. It's yours for as long as you want to keep it.
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Postby Blake1 » Wed May 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Hi Mike,

I'm still getting used to a different mind set. I thought the fact that the NI number links to most things would be useful some how. They have written and sent a card not to the person that is on the birth certificate but to a nobody a non-entity. How do they know that it relates to the same person, I have never told them?

Something definitely feels a bit weird about this to me, I am very instinctive and something is telling me there is more to this, I just don't know what.

Greg
Blake1

Postby MikeThomas » Wed May 27, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi Greg;
I was adopted when I was six by my mothers new husband and in honour of him I used his first name as my second name. It was not officially recorded but when I first started work it was on my NI card. So whatever you call yourself, the number stays the same.
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Return to General Freeman related questions