Definition of Corporation

Postby akkedis » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:31 pm

Just doing some research on corporation and the legal person came across this, quite interesting because on this page (link below) there is mention of common law and human beings!!

"Corporation" normally means a company registered under the current Companies Act or one of its predecessors (Royal Charter/Special Statute are rare forms of incorporation).

A corporation is a legal person which can only act or form an intention through its directors or employees. A corporation can commit offences ranging from the relatively trivial to the serious.

Unincorporated bodies do not incur criminal liability at common law because they are not a "legal person", although members of the unincorporated body can be individually liable. In relation to statutory offences, however, unincorporated bodies can be criminally liable <Archbold 1-78>. Clerk to Croydon Justices, ex parte Chief Constable of Kent, 1989 Crim. LR 910 is a case where an unincorporated body was held to be liable, in this instance, for parking offences as a result of it being the registered keeper of the vehicle in question.

if you'd like to read more.
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/l_to_o/offences_committed_by_companies/index.html#Corporate_Liability_-
akkedis

Re: Definition of Corporation

Postby CCJxtra » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:06 pm

CPS site comes up with 404 error, my under standing of a 404 error is that it does not find any site the also asks for the address of the site where the link is so that it can be corrected curious?
CCJxtra

Re: Definition of Corporation

Postby treeman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:29 pm

a CORPORATION or corporate body is an artificial person, i.e not a human being, which is nevertheless capable of having legal rights and liabilities. And more.
I'll make no subscription to their paradise.

All Rights Reserved - Without Prejudice - Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
Errors & Omissions Excepted
treeman

Return to Legal words and their meanings