When We Were Young

Jobaboba's Jokes Factory. (Only for those who are feeling silly)

When We Were Young

Postby MikeThomas » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:10 am

Thanks to my good friend Kerry for sharing this:

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MY FRIENDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 1940's, 50's, 60's and early 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes or cervical cancer.

Then after that trauma, our baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds , KFC, Subway or Nandos.- Do you remember Wimpy bars and their beef burgers!

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open on the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death! God please close all shops on Sundays again. Make Great Britian GREAT and the United Kingdom UNITED.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store and buy Toffees, Gobstoppers, Bubble Gum, Aniseed balls, Black Jacks and Mojos

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of old prams and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and dens and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo Wii , X-boxes, no video games at all, no 999 channels on SKY ,

no video/dvd films, no PSP

no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, bruised, broke bones and teeth and there were no
Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears! And that's all they pierced.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time...

We were given air guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!! Getting into the team was based on MERIT

Our teachers used to hit us with canes and gym shoes and bully's always ruled the playground at school.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.

They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like 'Kiora', 'Blade', 'Ridge' 'Vanilla' 'Troy' nor did they name us after the place we were conceived.

"And we never had a whole Mars bar until 1993"!!!

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned

HOW TO

DEAL WITH IT ALL !

And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives

'For our own good'.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

PS -The big type is because your eyes are not too good at your age anymore

-
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Re: When We Were Young

Postby Catnap » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:19 am

Really made me smile thank you! :clap: xxx
Namaste

Claire

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security shall deserve neither and lose both. Benjamin Franklin
Catnap

Postby daizi » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:22 am

lovely post. thank you! : )
2 + 2 = 4
daizi

Postby freeman-matt » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:19 am

What a great post,brought back some good memories of shooting sticks and bow's and arrows etc.Just a shame the kids of today aint got a clue,tried getting my kids to make somthing..........lasted about 5 mins,would rather sit on the poxy games console,when you actually sit and look back it's hard to believe it's changed so much...........love to all............x
freeman-matt

Postby Farmer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:11 pm

Nice one. Brought back lots of memories.

A few weeks ago I was not allowed on a bus because I was carrying a 5 litre tin of paint. The reason: Health & Safety. Its time to reverse all this.
If you're scared of 'them' poisoning 'us' with some shit then maybe you haven't noticed the shit they are already poisoning us with.
- prajna - fmotl.co.uk forum 2011
Farmer

Postby mOz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:33 pm

Hey Farmer,
might be worth checking out the safe limit, concerning the transportation of paint on public transport. :grin:

SHEESH.............

These stories aren't even surprising anymore, they're expected.
I suppose, although it's annoying at the time, we should laugh at this, as it's all it really deserves!

Honestly, i just know that when i've got to deal with a system robot, that summat daft or utterly moronic is going to occur.
I just know it.

It almost makes a trip to the job centre worthwhile. :grin:

Peace
m :love: z
They said "The world may end in 2012''
They said " The NWO has a depopulation agenda"
I said "Pigs may fly"
Then swine flu...........

mOz (July 2009)
mOz

Postby bernie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:45 pm

Pure Class :-)

Ive passed this on to my friends
bernie

Postby nannyknowsbest » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:22 pm

I was born in 1953 (I know this because my Mum told me - she was there and knew more about it than I did).
When I was 3, my Dad took me to a kids party arranged by his work (North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board) and I met the REAL Santa (I did!!).
When I was 5 my Dad took me on my first aeroplane flight for my birthday - and it had propellers and I visited the cockpit - and it didn't fly into a single building.
When I was 8, I met the lady who was destined to become my second wife.
When I was 11, I had a pair of stilts for Christmas (made [ badly] by my Dad) - and I was over the moon.
When I was 13, I discovered music and it was made by people and not machines.
When I was 15, I discovered the opposite sex. It was 1968 and it still remains, in my mind, the most magical year ever. No sex - just a group of us meeting up, sitting outside (with our bikes) and learning to interact with the opposite sex.
When I was 17, I discovered booze. After a few hangovers from hell, I learned that, being totally out of control was not a good thing - it was better to just learn to enjoy the nice bits of drinking (pauses to sample one of the nice bits).
When I was 19, I got married for the first time. Lasted 20 years and 3 lovely kids but, we grew apart.
When I was 21, I passed my driving test. I also saw a fatal accident (fiend of mine) and learned that cars killed and they should be treated with respect.
When I was 22, I watched a friend of mine die in front of me because of drugs. Decided not to do them - ever.
When I was 23, I became a Dad - the best thing that ever happened to me (so good, I did it twice more).
When I was 35, I started to realise that this country had something fundimentally wrong with it.
When I was 39, I got divorced and married the lady I met at age 8.
When I was 45, I knew that something terrible was happening and told my wife that "within 15 to 20 years, we will be a police state).
When I was 52, I built my recording studio (my dream for as long as I could remember)
When I was 53, I became a millionaire.
When I was 54, I broke my back and had to have a 14 hour operation to try and save my legs.
When I was 55, became a millionaire with no cash - because - well, I don't know why actually apart from the fact that a bank took £500,000 of what I had earned in "security" for loans never made.
When I was 56, the back operation failed.

Now - I am 56, I look back on my life and realise that, for the first 35 years of my life, despite struggling to make "my way" in the world, I had been taught how to do this and, the common sense lessons I learned as a kid stood me in good stead to make my way in life.

I realise that the rot that we are now suffering the final throws of, started over (well I noticed it) over 20 years ago when we started allowing the bullies to take charge and dictate what we all should do and think. I look back and I simply see my homeland as a foreign and hostile country and I get really angry.

I survived the privations of the 50s, the fun of the 60s, the fashion of the 70s, the music of the 80s and the increasing lunacy of the 90s - yet now, in the Noughties - I look and realise that the country I have loved for over half a century is being sold to the highest bidder - at our cost - and I wonder how the hell we allowed this to happen.

How can we go from a friendly, civilised and common sense society to the aberration that now masquerades as our country - in less than a lifetime?

If I could build a time machine, I would take what I know now and go back to 1968 - I miss the incredible feeling of freedom and thrill about what was yet to come and that "tingle" I felt then, Compared to what our children face now, it WAS Utopia. Can anyone blame them for being angry? - we have left them nothing but a life on benefits, no future, no opportunity, no connection, no education and a life of never ending "nannying" with all the micro management of their lives and thoughts that is entailed.

Where is Perfumo?
Where are the pipe smoking politicians that got pissed, got caught and then acted honourably?

I look around and, with all the technilogical advancements we have made since the 50s and 60s that should have improved our lives, I realise that, because they have simply been taken over by the playground bullies that I grew up with, it would be better if they had never been invented.

No - people of our age managed to survive all the privations, all the pollutants, all the things that, according to "scientists" these days, mean that we should all have died in our teens only to be told by people with no experience, qualifications or interest that they know how we should exist - simply in order to spend a bit more time on this planet (despite that fact the, almost without fail, they are wrong).

One question - why did we all bother?

Was it to live like this?

Or was it to live like only we now know how to, and pass that information on to the current generation (who, in my opinion are more of a "damned generation" than those who fought in the Great War - at least they had a goal).

I feel that, as a nation, we have stopped learning from the past and our politicians are trying to get us to learn from the future (terrorism, global warming etc..) and conduct our affairs "just in case". That way lies chaos and the end of civilisation as we know it.

When I was young, I believed that, in some way, I could and would make my mark on the world. I am now older and I still maintain that view - otherwise - why the hell am I here?

Paul
nannyknowsbest

Postby MikeThomas » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:38 am

Beautifully said Paul! It just proves that youth is wasted on the young :rotfl: Thanks for sharing mate.

BTW: Why not combine my original message with yours, add some background music (a'la Baz Lurrman) and make a record. (Record!!!! How old am I !!!!! I mean track,)
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Postby HumanBeing-BeingHuman » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:47 pm

I grew up in the 80's and even I remember a lot of this. Then again I didn't spend any time in or near cities until i was in my teens. Technology has indeed made a lazy bunch of a lot of people. I want to return to a time when "work" wasn't just some place you went to to earn some paper, work was something you did around your house in order to survive. Wouldn't that be grand?
I'M ALIVE!
HumanBeing-BeingHuman

Return to The Lighter Side