wood gasification

Discussions related to Free Energy (including Zero Point Energy) and how to live off the grid

wood gasification

Postby goodwood1969 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I am currently working on my landrover 101 to convert it to run on woodgas.
The process involves breaking wood down into gas, ash and char, in order to use the uncombusted gas, left over from burning it, in an oxygen reduced environment, to power the engine, just like propane or lpg.
The process is way old, it used to be in main stream use during ww 2 to sustain agriculture in sweeden, and most of Berlin's taxis were run on woodgas also during the war
It's cumbersome to say the least, but it works and the taxman gets no slice as I use scrap wood and tree fellings. Usually I cut trees down for free to obtain the wood for myself.

My landrover has a 3.5ltr v8 engine and runs quite well for its fuel.
You do not get as much power from woodgas as you do from petrol so not as fast or as much pulling power.
If you are unsure as to what a wood gasification set up looks like, check out the ' 101 forward control club and register' website. Goto forums page, click on the workshop forum and scroll back ....
Look for the thread 'back to the plan'......

My landy is yellow, orange and black camo....urban commando style!
There are many pictures of the adaptations to make my engine run on woodgas and petrol or just one or other fuel source.
I am making a new gasifier to run my landy , which doesn't produce tar, that damages the engine. Much of the info I am using to build the new gasifier comes from the yahoo/groups/ woodgas website and all are very helpful people, much the same as you!
I ihave driven my landy to a few local shows this summer and have had much intrest in it. Including an offer to buy....from another FMOTL.
Just to let you know this technology is out there.

Peace be with you all
Cheers
g
goodwood1969

Re: wood gasification

Postby kevin » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:41 pm

I've just had a look at the 101 site, that looks very interesting, do you smoke much going down the road? they'll love it driving through a smokeless zone :clap:
kevin

Postby goodwood1969 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:20 am

As for the smoking whilst driving, it generally can't, for the simple reason that when the engine is running, it draws air into the system through the gasifier ,and all the smoke gets drawn into the engine and is combusted there. No smoke comes out of the exhaust.
You do however get shitloads of smoke coming out of the top of the gasifier when you lift the lid to refuel the gasifier.
Hopefully with the modifications I ve now made to the hopper, I should get about 60 miles before refueling and a useable, reliable top speed of 55 mph,much lower on hills or when towing my trailer.
There's a chap in the USA who gets roughly 65-70mph but runs a supercharger to achieve these speeds and reports petrol like performance out of his set-up.
Anyone interested should avoid the FEMA gasifier without proper consultation with the various woodgas groups, such as 'yahoo/woodgas/groups', 'gek'
Wood gasifiers are available to HGV size
Cheers
g
goodwood1969

Postby Karl:J » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Ben Peterson is doing some stirling work over in the US http://victorygasifier.com/ He has little time for the GEK as he has advised them on how best to build it and they ignored him so he went out and did it himself.
Men fight for liberty, and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools.
And their grandchildren are once more slaves.
Karl:J

Postby goodwood1969 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:13 am

I tried a while ago to get some info from victory gasworks as i like the gasifiers that he makes but im not sure that his website was working....
I tried emailing him for a price on a complete set-up for my landy, especially the rectangular trunk type 'abe' (i think) but received no reply.
Thats why im still building mine (rebuilding and not far away now from completion)
I cant wait to get back on the road with Max (my 101 landy) and get some serious miles out of it without the tar problem!
since i saw this idea working i thought that has so many possibilites, heating the house, providing free power via an engine powered generator and obviously heating a still to make moonshine...and travel. I thought seriously and plan to build another unit to provide excess power to sell to the grid and make a small wage from doing so.
This could also power a small community off grid to run just about everything.
From my v8 engine i could get 36kw electrical power out via a generator and i have a spare v8 kicking about (just in case) and a v8 sounds sweet burbling away.
g
goodwood1969

Postby huntingross » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:52 pm

http://www.woodgas.com/

This is an excellent and informative site, especially the little woodgas stove....details for building and all.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby Karl:J » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Ben has just opened a new manufacturing plant and is working 6 days a week, i have received email replies but nothing recently, check the email address as it was changed and try sending again. I am looking for something to work as an off grid unit but don't want to rely on other fuels like propane or used veg oil or bio diesel because you still need a supplier for that.
Men fight for liberty, and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools.
And their grandchildren are once more slaves.
Karl:J

Postby goodwood1969 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:18 am

I saw the process working on 'planet mechanics' and as i get a lot of off cuts from my endeavours, it seemed a useful way of disposing of some of my waste, but with beneficial overtones. The fact that i can (soon again) sail by the petrol station altogether whilst giving the two finger tribute to the treasury for my road tax, fuel tax, insurance tax, is a great wheeze. And i get the excercise of cutting my fuel into managable sizes, thus making my heart that little better off too!
The chap who built the 'hobbit house for £3000' (as can be found on google) has done what i've been planning for some time, off grid, (unless i set a generator up to produce excess lekky and sell it back to the grid, also run from wood gas) or once my home is built, work from home, building other gasifiers for any interested party and making beds from logs and natural found wood. :clap:
Peace with all.
g
goodwood1969

Return to Free Energy