Bedroom Tax 'Loophole'

Bedroom Tax 'Loophole'

Postby niemanda » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:11 pm

This just in from 'facebook' sources - (hope I'm posting it in the right section!)

"If your spare bedroom is 70 square feet or under, it is classed as a BOXROOM. It therefore cannot be charged bedroom tax, as listed under the Housing Act 1985. This was put to the Council today and proven to be right. Please measure your room and put your foot down - 9' x 7' = 63 square feet!!"

I have no idea whether this is right or not - just putting it out there for those affected to consider/research (we don't have a spare room ourselves...)

- niemanda (Jay) x
niemanda

Re: Bedroom Tax 'Loophole'

Postby MikeThomas » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:35 am

I think the 'catch' in this is that the size of the room is only taken into consideration if it is to do with 'overcrowding'.

I hope I'm wrong!
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Ask your landlord to reclassify your home. That small room could become a dining room or an office. Also check your tenancy agreement as a lot of them dont specify the amount of bedrooms
“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”
rebelwithoutaclue

Postby Too Far Gone » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:53 am

MikeThomas wrote:I think the 'catch' in this is that the size of the room is only taken into consideration if it is to do with 'overcrowding'.

I hope I'm wrong!

This isn't quite right in my opinion.

My family sold a terrace house a few years back and we tired to list it as a 3 bedroom house. However, the guy who came out to survey the house said it had to be listed a 2 bedroom house under the law, because the "boxroom" was too small to be classed a bedroom. So the house went on the market as a 2 bed terrace.
Too Far Gone

Return to Housing only