What is a 'house', what is a 'home'

What is a 'house', what is a 'home'

Postby Farmer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:50 pm

Today I heard something that is interesting: In the US, a 'house' is something that you own and can pass on to your heirs. A 'home' is something that is in a commercial environment and cannot be passed on to your heirs. so for example, you can rent a 'home', but you can't rent a 'house'. I wonder whether this is the same in the UK.
If you're scared of 'them' poisoning 'us' with some shit then maybe you haven't noticed the shit they are already poisoning us with.
- prajna - fmotl.co.uk forum 2011
Farmer

Re: What is a 'house', what is a 'home'

Postby Jim » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:25 pm

"Home" is where I live. A "house" is somewhere I might go to stay for a while (like when I visit my parents for example) but it's not where I live.
All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.
Jim

Postby Farmer » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Well for me its my house or someone else's if I am renting, but always my home. I may visit someone else's home which would be in their house or someone else's if they are renting.

I will need to look at this closer to see what the legal standings are here in the UK because in the US a home cannot be your castle as far as the system is concerned.
If you're scared of 'them' poisoning 'us' with some shit then maybe you haven't noticed the shit they are already poisoning us with.
Farmer

Postby jonboy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:47 pm

In the Uk they send out documents addressed to "HOME OWNER" never "HOUSE OWNER" ?? I wonder if "HOME" is a legal fiction?
"Reason is the life of the law; nay, the common law itself is nothing else but reason. The law which is perfection of reason" Sir Edward Coke 1552-1634.

NO ONE RULES IF NO ONE OBEYS.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.
jonboy

Postby Farmer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:18 pm

That is what it appears to be in the US. A 'home' is in the commercial world; a 'house' is under common law.
Farmer

Postby holy vehm » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:30 pm

i wonder where the phrase 'an englishmans castle is his home' comes from? and why its not 'an englishmans castle is his house'
an englishmans castle is his home doesnt seem to apply anymore, its been over ridden by statute law. under statute law any number of people can enter your home/house against your will, but not under common law i believe.
i wonder how old that phrase is?
is a house the bricks and mortar and a home the spirtitual, a home is what you make of a house?
sorry farmer but more questions than answers im afraid.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby jonboy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:53 pm

You are entitled to dump a pile of bricks on your land. But should you decide to stack the said bricks in a certain way, creating a weatherproof enclosure, otherwise known as a "home". Then someone will take offence, and bulldoze said "home" so it becomes a pile of bricks once more. :rotfl:
"Reason is the life of the law; nay, the common law itself is nothing else but reason. The law which is perfection of reason" Sir Edward Coke 1552-1634.

NO ONE RULES IF NO ONE OBEYS.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.
jonboy

Postby huntingross » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Found this maxim :

Every man's house is his castle.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby Happydancer » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:59 am

I wish i could of wrote this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6151624.stm

Pete