The Cheeky Church

The Cheeky Church

Postby phillwelsh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi everyone,
An interesting topic this one. this is something Ive never heard before and no one else I have spoken to have heard of it either.

On Friday last week my girlfriend and I finished the deal on a new house with means we have finally moved on from our good ol' parents dewlings and into our very own little house.
Now we're in the solicitors and shes going though the final bit of signing contracts with the girl friend etc etc and she then throws this story at us.
Apparently the if the local church requires any kind of maintenance of repair they are able to call upon the locals to pay for this repair. She then goes on to tell us that one couple actually lost their house because of this as they couldnt afford to pay it. She then sells us an insurance policy of £35 to cover us if this should happen.

Now Ive spoken to quite a few people who live in that area and even some one on the committee for the area and no one has ever heard of this. most I got was a few shocked faces and alot of giggles. The only suggestion Ive had is that the house was built on parish land and when the builders bought the land this went into some sort of agreement they had?

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

I'd like to claim the cost back but I have no idea who to claim from? The council or the church? And also a little compensation for scaring my girlfriend into buying insurance for no real reason!

Any ideas on this one would be great.

Phill
Dont ya know there aint no devil, thats just god when he's drunk!

No more Mr Nice Guy!!! From now on its Phill of the family Nice Guy!!!
phillwelsh

Re: The Cheeky Church

Postby Phil: C » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:51 pm

It could be true Phill. I seem to remember hearing about something like this on the radio. I googled it and came up with this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2008/dec/08/church-of-england

and this: http://www.premier.org.uk/news/current/couple%20claim%20c%20of%20e%20is%20making%20them%20pay%20for%20repairs%20to%20local%20church.aspx

edit: and another - a bit more info about the same case: http://www.findaproperty.com/displaystory.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&storyid=10575

It's all based on Statute Law of course, but I reckon it could be 35 fiat notes well spent! And your neighbours might appreciate knowing about it!
Praise the Lord! :saint:
Phil.
_______________________________________Phil: C
"There's no saviours hanging around" The Oyster Band
"We are normal and we want our freedom" The Bonzo Dog Band
Phil: C

Postby phillwelsh » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:05 pm

Wow that is shocking!
I never heard of aything like that!
Ok so I think I'll accept that £35 quid charge and get along with my day!

But since Im not insured if anyone wants to come down my way and burn down a church then be my guest! :mrgreen:

phillwelsh

Postby Phil: C » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 pm

Yeah, shocking but not surprising. This is from a speech made by Rowan Williams, Archvillain of Canterbury last year while on a junket in India, all expenses paid no doubt:
... so that our compassion, our love and our fellow feeling do not stop simply with those who are like us.(http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/2037)
Or even start Rowan - tell that to the Wallbanks, your church didn't show them any compassion did it? :no:
Phil.
_______________________________________Phil: C
"There's no saviours hanging around" The Oyster Band
"We are normal and we want our freedom" The Bonzo Dog Band
Phil: C

Postby fogg » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:40 pm

Yes Phil, sadly it's all too true. Whatever you do, take out that Insurance Policy....otherwise it could cost you dear in the future...and even force you to lose your home.
fogg

Postby phillwelsh » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:03 pm

Yeah Im glad we did take out that insurance now!
At first it seemed to crazy to be true and I thought I was being taken for a ride. But its all sorted so if it falls down it aint my problem :grin:

phillwelsh

Postby fogg » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:24 pm

It's just a legal "throwback" to the times when the Church was all-powerful in the Land, and walked roughshod over the Common Man (and Woman). :saint:
fogg

Return to Housing only