Another approach to Council Tax

Income Tax, Council Tax, National Insurance and VAT issues.

Re: Another approach to Council Tax

Postby nameless » Wed May 05, 2010 10:41 am

[quote="Zaniwhoop"]A great topic this, thanks for posting, it may help a bit with my hearing tomorrow, although it is technically for non-domestic rates.

The best of British, Zaniwhoop
“Whoever may be guilty of abuse of power, be it Government, State, Employer, Trade Union or whoever, the law must provide a speedy remedy. Otherwise the victims will find their own remedy."

Lord Denning
nameless

Postby Zaniwhoop » Wed May 05, 2010 8:56 pm

nameless wrote:The best of British, Zaniwhoop
Thanks nameless. I'll post up the transcript once I've typed it. There were some interesting things said.

And thanks for the links dave, will check them out asap, a little limited on the internet time at the moment as I don't have it all day down at the shop. :shake: :love:
Shaw's principle.
"A government which robs Peter
to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul"

Sublato fundamento cadit opus The foundation being removed, the superstructure falls.
Zaniwhoop
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pedawson » Thu May 06, 2010 8:27 pm

dmurphy25 wrote:It's called Lawful Rebellion matey and if we all did it this nonsense would soon stop... Besides, I get to have so much fun paying Council Tax :giggle:

dmurphy25
One never realises that one might say something that will call another to action.
I am going to do it, it has always been my intention. I have been reading the posts on FMOTL for a little while to get more info and all the docs I would need.
Your statement just pushed me over the edge, I'm on my way. They will be spending a lot more getting to the point of getting me to court than I will pay in tax and with the current standards of documentation coming to light, I think I have a chance.
All I can say is that somewhere someone WILL succeed, It happened with the poll tax. It is going to happen with council tax.

Namaste, Phil:
1965freeman your input is spot on, I will include in my notice that I do not wish to enter into an agreement nor do I wish for them to have to supply services if I am not to pay council TAX.
This is a point that has not often if ever come up in these threads. The council may just be waiting to be offered the option to OPT-OUT.
I am going to give them that option. Thanks for that 1965freeman

Again Namaste, Phil:
Don't be surprised to discover that luck favours those who are prepared
pedawson

Postby 1965freeman » Fri May 07, 2010 8:18 am

you're welcome. I will add that I have been through the whole 'lability hearing ' and 'appeal' processes. I then attended an interview with the senior enforcement officer. It has now been some 14 weeks since the interview and NO FURTHER ACTION HAS BEEN TAKEN AGAINST ME. No Bailiffs, further court summons, NOTHING.
They are sitting on an invoice from me (fee schedule) for some £950. I have not pursued this .
All I wanted for was 'them' to sod off and leave me alone. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.
"Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew.” (G.Apollinaire)
I do not offer legal advice, I offer common sense suggestions based on shared knowledge.
1965freeman

Postby dmurphy25 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:32 am

1965freeman wrote:you're welcome. I will add that I have been through the whole 'lability hearing ' and 'appeal' processes. I then attended an interview with the senior enforcement officer. It has now been some 14 weeks since the interview and NO FURTHER ACTION HAS BEEN TAKEN AGAINST ME. No Bailiffs, further court summons, NOTHING.
They are sitting on an invoice from me (fee schedule) for some £950. I have not pursued this .
All I wanted for was 'them' to sod off and leave me alone. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Interesting, can you give some more details of what your process was? Is it posted anywhere?
...one group of apes left the safety of the trees and stood upright in the tall savannah grass, some of these apes began to evolve, but most were hit by cars!
dmurphy25

Postby Dipsy » Sat May 08, 2010 1:54 am

if you you jump to the last page in a book you will only see the ending:) If you want to read the story go to page 1 on this thread and read it then you will be up to speed.

That said its a good result but it appears doing admin process on its own doesn't work too often and the reason is because Mr and Mrs Jobsworth sat in the council offices (any office in fact) holding scary titles like Enforcement Officer or Senior Debt Collector etc have no clue about the law, or procedures, legal versus lawful etc and so in order to win sometime you have to go and sit down and teach them. Once presented with a few facts they are left in a weak position like a rabbit sat in the middle of the road they don't know which way to go next.

I think it was the Lib Dems that said they would completely overhaul council tax or even abolish it due to being "very unpopular". I can only imagine that means people like us are constantly testing both the ethics and lawful right for them to impose this in the first place.
Dipsy

Postby strawmansarah » Sat May 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Dipsy wrote:I think it was the Lib Dems that said they would completely overhaul council tax or even abolish it due to being "very unpopular". I can only imagine that means people like us are constantly testing both the ethics and lawful right for them to impose this in the first place.
Funny how the cynic in me reads that and thinks "nah, it's just that they've thought up a better way to shaft us..." :thinks: lol
[url]http://www.lulu.com/shop/the-lioness/so-they-say-you’ve-broken-the-law-challenging-legal-authority/paperback/product-18485231.html[/url]How to challenge the authority of anyone who claims you have broken the law.
strawmansarah

Postby dmurphy25 » Sat May 08, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi ho fellow rebels, time for another update :sun:

Just received this letter from the council:

Mr David Murphy
Address
TOWN
County
POSTCODE
30th April 2010

Dear Mr Murphy,

A/C XXXXXXXXX

Thank you for your letters dated 26th April to Penny Jackson and myself. I am returning to you the Reminder Notice and the invoice which you enclosed.

The reminder was sent to you because your Council Tax instalment due on 1st April has not been received. A further instalment is due on 1st May. A separate reminder dated 28th April has been sent to you for the Council Tax of £164.44 for the period 13th February 2010 to 31st March 2010.

If payment is not received, a summons will be issued for you to appear at Maidenhead Magistrates Court where the Council will apply for a Liability Order.

I have explained in my letters of 15th March and 6th April why you are liable for the Council Tax at [snip], and the process you should follow if you should still disagree with the council's decision that you are the liable person i.e. the right of appeal to a Valuation Tribunal.

I believe I have given sufficient explanations in these previous letters and I am sorry that you do not agree. I am pointing you in the direction of the Valuation Tribunal as this is the proper channel for you to go through if you do not feel you are liable to pay and that the Council is not acting lawfully by sending you Council Tax bills.

In my letter of 6th April I asked you to contact me if you feel that you may be entitled to a discount for example if you are the sole occupier, if the property is not your main residence or if you or any other occupier may be 'disregarded'. I haven't heard from you but if you feel you may be entitled to a discount please do contact me.

I am returning invoice to you because I cannot agree that it is reasonable for you to charge the Council £500.00 each time we send you a communication without your consent. When an instalment becomes overdue it is reasonable for the Council to issue a reminder for that amount. As stated earlier in this letter, a further reminder has been sent to you dated 28th April, and a summons may be issued if the amounts due remain unpaid.

If you have any further queries concerning discounts and exemptions, or about the valuation Tribunal or Magistrates Court process, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Elaine Henderson
Revenues Manager

So, she has unilaterally decided that my charges aren't reasonable... and theirs are?? This suggests that she has intercepted an invoice before the accounts department got to see it? Isn't that malpractice or fraud or something?? :thinks:

anyone??
...one group of apes left the safety of the trees and stood upright in the tall savannah grass, some of these apes began to evolve, but most were hit by cars!
dmurphy25

Postby nameless » Sat May 08, 2010 9:05 pm

You might want to remove the address from the body of their letter.

[Edit by Veronica: Address snipped]
“Whoever may be guilty of abuse of power, be it Government, State, Employer, Trade Union or whoever, the law must provide a speedy remedy. Otherwise the victims will find their own remedy."

Lord Denning
nameless

Postby 1965freeman » Sat May 08, 2010 10:08 pm

You might also like to point out to this twat that it is NOT up to him to decide whether you are the 'person liable to pay council tax' - that, after all, is the whole purpose of the bloody proposed magistrates hearing!
"Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew.” (G.Apollinaire)
I do not offer legal advice, I offer common sense suggestions based on shared knowledge.
1965freeman

PreviousNext

Return to Taxes