Bedroom TAX challenge

Income Tax, Council Tax, National Insurance and VAT issues.

Bedroom TAX challenge

Postby pooky2483 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:46 pm

I am in Council property (ran by Metropolitan) and they're hitting us with the council tax reduction of 15%.
I sent my council a letter rebutting the charge, way back in July. I kept calling them to see how far it'd got. It was only very recently when I last called, a woman told me that they can't process it because I didn't SIGN IT.
She said that for them to process it, I'd have to sign it, so she posted it back to me to sign & return. I signed it and sent it back (under protest).

I say 'under protest' as I thought we didnt HAVE TO sign anything.
They have been comunicating with me for ages so they KNOW who I am.

Also, I thought FMOTL protocol was to NOT sign & print? (That is reserved for CONTRACTS)

She also said that I need to take the issue up wqith Metropolitan as it was THEM who decided it was a 2 bed property and nothing to do with the council.

pooky
pooky2483

Re: Bedroom TAX challenge

Postby MikeThomas » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Check your room sizes. If the smaller room is between 50 and 70 sq feet then it is only suitable for a person under the age of ten. So that negates you being able to rent out the room unless you know a homeless paperboy :grin:

Now if the room is below the expected space standard then your Housing contract is null and void as it it is fraudulent.
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Postby pooky2483 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:16 pm

I've read HERE that the fact that it's simply CLASSIFIED as a bedroom is irrelevant if it's NOT being used as a bedroom.

Also, my council are 'passing the buck', can they do that? They are saying 'they' did not classify it as 2 bedroom , so go and take the matter up with Metropolitan, as it was them who made the classification.
pooky2483

Postby MikeThomas » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:52 am

It doesn't matter who stated that you have two bedrooms. They will blame each other and pass the proverbial buck. If your spare room is too small to be a bedroom send a Notice for them to re-classify your room numbers. Hint that the original contract may be wrong (fraudulent!) and offer them the opportunity to correct their error.

A word of caution though: I followed this avenue and drew them into a 'showdown' where I was informed that they would not re-classify room numbers as they were told by a high court judge that they (the Council & Housing Ass) may be held liable for years of fraudulent Housing Benefit claims.

So while most social landlords tried to help their tenants by re-classifying (Dundee Council did this) the majority were advised by the Chartered Housing Institute (I think) not to pursue this course of action lest they be implicated in fraud.

In a nutshell: The Guberment knew all the angles we would try to evade this unfair tax on the poorest in society and countered with the usual threats. And all this was decided by public servants and MP's to save a few quid while they were paying £50 for a breakfast and £100 for lunch.
MikeThomas

Postby pooky2483 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:50 pm

Just measured the room (roughly) and it's 9'6" X 7'2" = 69'12"
I will come back later with a more accurate measurement.
pooky2483

Postby pooky2483 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:53 pm

Well, I recently got a reply from them.
Anyone got any advice or a really good template letter I can edit for my circumstances...
Image Image
pooky2483

Postby pooky2483 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Just re-measured the room and it's 70" X 109"
7' X 9' 1"
7 X 9 = 63 ft
Under 70 by 7
pooky2483

Postby MikeThomas » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:50 am

Exactly as I predicted eh Pooky?

When it comes to Housing Associations & Councils...... one hand will always wash the other.
MikeThomas

Return to Taxes