mobile technology & its health implications.

mobile technology & its health implications.

Postby holy vehm » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:14 pm

I have been looking today into the side effects of using internet dongles (the little usb sticks) on our health. Many people, notably freemen who do not wish to contract with a service provider (BT/virgin media) and those that live life on the road are using these.

I myself can connect my dongle in the morning and it will remain connected until midnight which led me to ask, what if any are the side effects of having this on so many hours a day, added to that using a mobile phone as an alarm clock (only inches from the head) in the night and also having a mobile on me or near me for the remainder of the day. I am surrounded by the energy waves emmitted by these devices 24 hrs a day, everyday.
My body and also that of most people has gone from having a very low exposure to the microwave and radiowaves emmitted of say 15 years ago to very high levels of today, simply because 15 years ago very few people had mobile technology.

We are exposed to radition through the use of any mobile device and although some research has been done into normal use of this technology, little is known or admitted for abnormal use or as i would say, normal use. The reality of these devices is that they are used as i do by millions i would suspect and its this use that should be clasified as normal.

So, not knowing much about the technology and its side effects i had a look around today. One thing that struck me is that the vast majority of information sources all qoute the same research and most place the same enphasis on the same sources, this generally being the info from the world health org or from certain universities with independent research often a passing comment at the bottom with the comment along the lines "although these findings are yet to be subjected to scientific evaluations" attached to it.

This tends to bring the conspiracy theorist out in me, under closer scruttiny, a lot of the highly quoted universities supplying information/advice on the use and health implications also have departments involved in the research and development of new mobile devices, this could create a conflict of interest. I could not find, but i would like too, information on who funds these various departments.

One thing that is mentioned in almost all the pages i have read is that the microwave technology in mobile devices actually heats the water in the brain.
The main example, as though to render the above insignificant is that the top of the head only warms upto to an equivalant to the sun shine on your head on a hot day, so you think, right ok, you could almost dismiss its effects yourself after reading that, but you start to read the more independent information (or that which you can find) which goes much further, and says that when the head is heated, even by only 1 degree, the brain releases chemicals and once these chemicals are released (although harmless under normal conditions) they interact with the micro and radio waves and start to act abnormally.

Now i wont going into a long post on the health implications, mainly because i am struggling to find a good source of impartial advice/opinions/research but i would appreciate anyone who may have on there computers any bookmarks/links that may be of interest.

These two links are from wiki, now they are not a great source of info on this subject but the others i have looked at, frankly are just propoganda for the mobile industry backed up by the world health org, the UN and big corporations through the funding of universities and i will not insult your intelligence by posting them up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_radiation_and_health
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_hypersensitivity

What you will note, no matter what you read on this subject, is the use of the same jargon time and again. It will also refer to it having no effect on a certain part of the body but will not say on a differant part of the body, for instance, they will often say there is no link between mobile devices and brain tumors, and thats how the whole thing is discussed, well what about other areas of the body, do you see what im getting at? They dont lie, they just dont tell you all the truth. Its misleading because it omitts certain things.

Anyway, like i say, any info appreciated.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Re: mobile technology & its health implications.

Postby kevin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:24 pm

I've heard they make men sterile...or can because you laptop...is in your lap along with your dongle, don't mix your two dongles together. but I cant offer any evidence so possibly rubbish
kevin

Postby greg » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:35 pm

Barrie Trower has some useful insights on this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNdcKGDNYQc - good series

And one shocker - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ao4Z5-RYTQ&feature=related
greg

Postby holy vehm » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:01 pm

(Taken from TPUC)

Effects of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Signal Exposure on Brain Glucose Metabolism

1. Nora D. Volkow, MD;
2. Dardo Tomasi, PhD;
3. Gene-Jack Wang, MD;
4. Paul Vaska, PhD;
5. Joanna S. Fowler, PhD;
6. Frank Telang, MD;
7. Dave Alexoff, BSE;
8. Jean Logan, PhD;
9. Christopher Wong, MS

[+] Author Affiliations

Author Affiliations: National Institute on Drug Abuse, Bethesda, Maryland (Dr Volkow); National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, Bethesda (Drs Volkow, Tomasi, and Telang and Mr Wong); and Medical Department, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Upton, New York (Drs Wang, Vaska, Fowler, and Logan and Mr Alexoff).

Abstract

Context The dramatic increase in use of cellular telephones has generated concern about possible negative effects of radiofrequency signals delivered to the brain. However, whether acute cell phone exposure affects the human brain is unclear.

Objective To evaluate if acute cell phone exposure affects brain glucose metabolism, a marker of brain activity.

Design, Setting, and Participants Randomized crossover study conducted between January 1 and December 31, 2009, at a single US laboratory among 47 healthy participants recruited from the community. Cell phones were placed on the left and right ears and positron emission tomography with (18F)fluorodeoxyglucose injection was used to measure brain glucose metabolism twice, once with the right cell phone activated (sound muted) for 50 minutes (“on” condition) and once with both cell phones deactivated (“off” condition). Statistical parametric mapping was used to compare metabolism between on and off conditions using paired t tests, and Pearson linear correlations were used to verify the association of metabolism and estimated amplitude of radiofrequency-modulated electromagnetic waves emitted by the cell phone. Clusters with at least 1000 voxels (volume >8 cm3) and P < .05 (corrected for multiple comparisons) were considered significant.

Main Outcome Measure Brain glucose metabolism computed as absolute metabolism (μmol/100 g per minute) and as normalized metabolism (region/whole brain).

Results Whole-brain metabolism did not differ between on and off conditions. In contrast, metabolism in the region closest to the antenna (orbitofrontal cortex and temporal pole) was significantly higher for on than off conditions (35.7 vs 33.3 μmol/100 g per minute; mean difference, 2.4 [95% confidence interval, 0.67-4.2]; The increases were significantly correlated with the estimated electromagnetic field amplitudes both for absolute metabolism (R = 0.95, P < .001) and normalized metabolism (R = 0.89; P < .001).

Conclusions In healthy participants and compared with no exposure, 50-minute cell phone exposure was associated with increased brain glucose metabolism in the region closest to the antenna. This finding is of unknown clinical significance.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Return to Healthcare only