Living well in stressful times with self-hypnosis

Living well in stressful times with self-hypnosis

Postby rupert » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Hello,
I think you will agree with me when I say that www.fmotl.com is a website whose intentions could be accurately described as 'empowering'; here, vital knowledge and first-hand experience is shared openly, whilst at all times allowing the discerning reader the 'right' to take wisdom on board, or not, as the case may be. In similar fashion, my contribution today aims at drawing your attention to the amazing powers of your own 'hidden mind', as we focus all of our current attention on the Mother of Offenders, namely, STRESS.

What I am about to share with you is by no means new; au contraire,this ancient art of self-induced relaxation (SIR! :police: ) stems from that time when woman first gave birth. Permit me to suggest that instead of immediately ploughing through what follows as if it were 'just another bit of food for the intellect', you take a few minutes to reflect at a deeper level of awareness on how, if at all, stress affects you or your loved ones, and how your life would improve if you could handle your stressors, instead of their handling you! Make a cup of tea, stretch your legs, and reflect a while on 'where you are at', and then you'll be able to resume reading with a fresh pair of eyes...Enjoy!

Stress is probably the greatest killer in the world today. It contributes to coronary disease, cancer, and many illnesses too numerous to mention. It can result from many different factors, from overwork to emotional disturbance, from unsuitable living conditions to difficult personal relations. Its effect can be devastating, and the variety of illnesses it can result in limitless.

The next time you visit a zoo, go to the enclosure where several animals of the same species are kept together. Leaving apart the very young, how easy is it to tell a two-year-old from a nine-year-old? Now, think of all the friends you have who are over sixty, the equivalent of a nine-year-old in animal terms. Some of them will look more like fifty, some more like seventy. It is stress, or the absence of it, which is at the root of those physiological differences. A stressful life will, as they say, put years on you.

When our bodies are functioning properly, we remove all the stresses which have accumulated during the day. If you wake up as tired as you were before you went to bed, you are failing to remove the tensions within you and in fact are allowing them to take root. If you allow those tensions to remain and to be built upon every day, you are setting into motion a cycle of stress which will attack both the body and the mind. The key to unlocking it lies in the unconscious mind, by achieving a state of true hypnosis and relaxing.

There is so much nonsense talked about hypnosis that is probably wisest to continue by destroying a few myths. All hypnosis is self-hypnosis; no one can be induced into a hypnotic state against his or her consent, and the idea that a weak mind is taken over by a stronger one is simply not true. Furthermore, hypnotists do not possess the power to control other people's minds; they just point the way to a deep state of relaxation which is available to everyone. And the final myth to be disposed of is this: under hypnosis you do not say things that you do not believe; you merely dispense with the inhibitions which normally prevent you from saying what you feel. But you are always in full control of what you say, and if you do not want reveal your most intimate secrets, you will not.

In hypnosis, the body is relaxed but the mind is alert. Think of a dog coming into a room. It will walk across to where it wants to sit, lie down and immediately seem to have entered a state of deep sleep. Yet it will be aware of sounds around it long before we humans are, and will snap out of it sleep the moment it hears anything unusual. This is the kind of relaxation that can be achieved under hypnosis. It is no miracle, but it releases us from our self-imposed limitations. In the times when we were hunters, we had the same ability to relax, and relied upon our unconscious minds to watch over us as we rested. Hypnosis has been proved to bring about a heightened sense of hearing, and even people with hearing difficulties experience an improvement. While we are hypnotised, we recover powers which, over the centuries, ensured our survival.

Evolution is described as the survival of the fittest: those creatures which adapted successfully to their environment survived, and those who failed to improve on their weaknesses became extinct. It is a cruel process, conducted on an arbitrary basis by a method of genetic inheritance - the shape of our bodies is witness to this haphazard but logical progression; we are living proof of the value of change.

But are we evolving? We may achieve a physique which is suitable for our surroundings, but we are vulnerable to disease, a hostage to the stresses of 'society'. Hypnosis offers us the chance to harness all the strengths we have ever possessed and to use them in the fight for survival. Look around the world: are we winning the fight or losing it?

In future articles, we will be looking at many examples of what we call 'illnesses' or 'diseases' and showing how they may be cured or eliminated by tackling the conditions of stress which produce them. Hypnosis, unlike other methods, such as meditation, which, in my opinion, achieves only a slight and temporary form of relaxation, is the only real solution to stress of this kind. We know, for example, that a head can 'ache' only in a special sense; there is certainly no bruising of the cranium. The ache that we feel is usually the direct result of some form of stress, and it is only through using the healing, relaxing powers of the hidden mind that we may rid ourselves of the pain.

If the idea of removing headaches by relaxation alone seems difficult to accept, consider what the body is able to do automatically under conditions of extreme pain. The unconscious stimulates the production of a substance known as endorphines, which act in the same way as morphine to remove pain. As a child, i would deal with a toothache by hitting the offending tooth hard with my knuckles. The pain this caused was sharp and intense, but the actual toothache disappeared for some time, because the endorphines were acting as a drug on my senses. People who have been shot say that they felt no real pain until some hours after, when the initial rush of endorphines had run its course. A mother was able to dash into a burning house to rescue her children, feeling no pain from the terrible burns for which she later had to be treated.

This mechanism is normally brought into play in extreme circumstances. Hypnosis, by allowing access to the unconscious, lets you employ it at will. It gives you control over the pain which you experience.

Compare this method with our usual one of taking drugs. I quote from an advertisement for a pain-killing drug routinely prescribed by doctors: `Power over pain .... Recommended starting dose, one gram a day.' Then came the small print:

Side effects:

Digestive system: gastric pain, dyspepsyia, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, constipation, flatulence, erucation,. Isolated cases of gastro-intestinal ulcers and bleeding.

Central nervous system: vertigo, somnolence, headache, tiredness, transient visual disturbances, depression, nervousness, tinnitus.

Skin: pruritus, rash, sweating, dry mucous membranes and stomatitis.

Miscellaneous: oedema, palpitation, syncope, muscle cramps, fever, malaise, hypersensitivity.

What kind of medicine is it that allows for the possibility of creating further, often more serious problems during therapy? Obviously, the side-effects quoted above develop in only some patients, and then it is one or two, not the whole list of illnesses the drug company provides. But still, many people suffer unnecessarily because they use artificially created pain-killers instead of relying on their own bodies' immune systems. All drugs that the body needs can be produced by the body itself without any external interference, just as it has been for millions of years. By taking manufactured drugs, we are losing our innate ability to allow our own biological systems to function.

Through hypnosis, most of us can learn how to control pain, whether it is stress-related or the result of an injury. Once we have learned the technique, it is vital that we use it sensibly. The pain of a broken limb may be controlled, but we still need to get to a hospital to have it reset; the pain which can be controlled but which keeps coming back is a warning that something is wrong with our body which needs examining by a doctor: migraine headaches can be conquered, but the worry, unhappiness or fear which is causing them still needs to be faced. And, of course, medical treatment which duplicates the body's own protective substances, such as insulin for the treatment of diabetes, cannot be replaced by hypnosis.

But the potential is there, within each and every one of us, for the relief of suffering which we consider treatable only by dangerous drugs. Many of us shrink from the thought of heroin abuse or cocaine addiction; why do we abuse ourselves in just the same way with drugs that come in labelled bottles?

My mission herein is to empower members of this forum by showing them how to take charge of their lives by gaining control of their bodies through the application of self-hypnosis (aka self-induced relaxation). If I can assist anybody by clarifying any points or questions you may have, please contact me via this forum; I value your feedback. Oh, and by the way, I am not touting for business 'cause there isn't any 'real' money to pay for it anyway :grin:
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument and which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is condemnation prior to investigation.” (Herbert Spenser 1820-1903)
rupert

Re: Living well in stressful times with self-hypnosis

Postby holy vehm » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:40 pm

Hi rupert, nice post. most of it is just common sense isnt it. Most people seem to have forgotten how to heal themselves and head straight to the chemist.

:peace:
hv
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby rupert » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Hello Holy Vehm,
I agree with you that much, if not all, of what I have written is common sense. I also sense that few are unaware of the fact that, as with many 'truths', we have been taught to forget that we possess the power for self-healing and self-determination.
Take care,
R
“There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all argument and which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance. That principle is condemnation prior to investigation.” (Herbert Spenser 1820-1903)
rupert

Postby holy vehm » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:46 am

rupert wrote:Hello Holy Vehm,
I agree with you that much, if not all, of what I have written is common sense. I also sense that few are unaware of the fact that, as with many 'truths', we have been taught to forget that we possess the power for self-healing and self-determination.
Take care,
R

Hi rupert,
i think we as humans are forgetting things at an ever increasing rate.
I watched apocolyto last night and certain parts you could see the natives using what they found in the jungle to heal. With the destruction of the rainforests some things will and have been lost forever.
Do you believe the mind has the ability to heal any illness its just that some illnesses are caused by modern lifestyles, the food we eat and the air we breath. has the mind and body been able to adapt to these new illnesses or is it a case of waiting for evolution to catch up.

:peace:
hv
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby rupert » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:20 pm

Hello Holy Vehm,
Thanks for getting back to me with your observations and questions. I trust you have a cuppa handy because when I get started, it takes a while to rein in my enthusiasm for 'clarity' (or the contrary). :grin:

Do you believe the mind has the ability to heal any illness its just that some illnesses are caused by modern lifestyles, the food we eat and the air we breath. has the mind and body been able to adapt to these new illnesses or is it a case of waiting for evolution to catch up.?

It is my belief that time waits for no-one unless one can learn how to consciously step out of a 'logical man-made time/space trap' into the present moment: into reality. By 'reality' I intend 'an awareness and understanding that everything in this universe is in a constant on/off cycle of change', (or better still, a continuous death of sorts, followed by rebirth). It is my understanding that the life of a human being is a process. We are actually becoming something; we are transforming - some might say 'ascending'. And in accepting the present moment repeatedly and consciously no matter what trials and tribulation befall us, we can discover that we are 'becoming humans with extra-ordinary abilities.' If one really wants to cure an illness holistically and definitively, this could be a mindset to entertain and explore.

In my view, as a species, we have evolved to our fullest physical&biological capacity. What remains for the future of our kind could best be described as an 'Evolution of the Meta-Biological variety'. In essence, whereas Darwinians (and the Eugenics Brigade) state that our species is engaged in the survival of the fittest, I maintain the perspective of one being involved in the survival of the wisest, or better still, an Evolution of Consciousness.

At the other end of the same stick, the 'arch-villain' - 'Mind', continues evolving in its own way too, although 'Conscious Mind/Ego' has its own best interests at heart, and 'it' would have you die painfully rather than be wrong. This is the situation we are in collectively, and as an aside, I should add that this mindset is the prevailing condition in Global Politics and Governance today, which is why we are on a downward slope of ever-increasing rapidity, and it is going to take every conceivable kind of wisdom, insight and determination to put us on a course that illuminates our path to good mental health and freedom.

It was Einstein who said “you cannot solve a problem with the mind frame that caused it;” that is what so many of us are trying to do as we face our respective challenges and illnesses. To answer your question specifically: If we want to solve a health problem, we have got to look back, right back to its causes, because unless we clarify in our own minds what those causes are which are creating a 'body in turmoil' (disease), we risk merely addressing and treating our symptoms, commonly known as the allopathic approach which is prevalent in Western society, and quickly catching up in the East. This is where hypnosis comes into the fore - big time, for in true hypnosis one engages and 'works with' a 'mind' that has not been contaminated or conditioned, namely, the unconscious or hidden mind. For when one is truly relaxed, only then can one examine and agree to new ways of behaving, new ways of eating, exercising and enjoying this once-in-a-lifetime experience that is commonly called 'mortal existence'.

Your observations and reference to Mel Gibson's epic 'Apocolyto' could be very helpful to anyone reading our communications, for seizing the moment (Carpe Diem) is precisely what self-healing is about. If we are to take charge of our lives, we need to look around outside of ourselves and take stock of the richness/poverty of our surroundings, whilst always remaining focused on our centre, where everything is still and calm, and 'right'. Just like that valient young warrior in the jungle, it is when one is desperately ill, apparently hopeless, and/or in urgent need that age-old subconscious wisdom 'can 'guide us towards finding a solution within our reach - however unconventional that solution might appear to an observer!

'East meets West': The objective of scientific disciplines is oriented towards fostering the knowledge and well-being of humans, or else, to understand the causes of diseases. This applies above all for basic research in the areas of neuroscience, medicine, and psychology, which try to describe the mechanisms of disease via a so-called "objective," third person experience. Based on the scientific paradigm, current science has many areas that cannot be explained by the existing models of objective, 3rd-person experience: e.g. conscience, causality of conscience on matter, etc.This is why many mental complaints cannot be treated in this manner. Correspondingly, there are therapeutic approaches in science in awareness of this fact and these therapists seek the dialogue with other traditions.

"Physician heal thine own self": Contemplative and (some) esoteric traditions, on the other hand, have the objective of researching the well-being of humans and causing well-being by means of a personal transformation, i.e. a «subjective», first person experience. Fostering compassion, altruism, understanding mental processes and their application in practice play a central role in spontaneous healings and healthcare provision. For many years now, I have expressed a special interest in building bridges to science by means of an interdisciplinary dialogue as both traditions try to mitigate suffering by insight into reality. The apparent paradox here is that whilst in the West we appear still dogmatically linked to our left-brain in our endeavours, in the Orient, the right-brain governs.

To conclude, I am humbly suggesting as food for thought that we as a species are, essentially, at war within ourselves, and as a direct result, we are getting more and more sick, and creating more and more 'new' illnesses. The cure for this dilemma lies in reclaiming our connectedness, innocence and individuality that as children we were born with but then we were systematically taught to forget. Sure, as you point out HV, our environment needs to be condusive to healthy living if we wish to survive, which explains why there is a virtual exodus of discerning folk to the hills of the globe and domestic rural settings (with ones own supply of fresh water) nowadays as they follow their intuitive trail back to the utopic yet plausible Promised Land. And lastly, back your question again: when an individual actually stops employing the 'conventional mind frame' and starts connecting with wisdom that is inherent in each and every one of us, I believe that anything is curable....given time that is!

Take care,
Rupert: of the family Raikes
rupert

Return to Healthcare only