paying in coins

paying in coins

Postby maglite » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:47 pm

quick question , a friend has just tried to pay a bill in copper coins and the bank have refused the payment , am i correct that they cannot refuse a payment as long as it is legal tender ? thanks in advance alan .
maglite

Re: paying in coins

Postby holy vehm » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 pm

This follows a court case sometime ago whereby someone paid the council tax in pennies. It was deemed as harassment as there was no good reason to pay in pennies and the sole purpose was to cause harassment.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby pedawson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Apologies for not contributing for such a long time. Facebook is a drug and I am addicted, but I will be posting more here in the future.
To answer your question:
Legal tender is the amounts and not the coins.
Anything over a certain amount in coin is considered not legal tender, a quick search on the google will give you the amounts.

One cannot pay a ten pond bill with 20p it is not considered legal tender.

Fucked up I know but, I believe though 'BANKS' HAVE to accept ANY amount of coin.

Namaste, rev phil;
Don't be surprised to discover that luck favours those who are prepared
pedawson

Postby maglite » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:10 pm

thanks hv
maglite

Postby Freeman Stephen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:29 am

im sure you can use pound and two pound coins up to any amount, but im aware there is some statute somewhere regarding other coins:

pennies, two pennies: a pound
fives and tens: five pounds
twenties and fifties: a tenner

thats thirty two pounds of eye for eye harrassment on any bills without contract right away. you can also get royal bank of scotland one pound notes for use in scotland which are a nightmare to get rid of when you get them - everyone accepts them in scotland but to give someone one in their change is like stroking their hands with a turd.
Freeman Stephen

Return to General Freeman related questions