Common law

Common law

Postby JOEBLOW » Fri May 13, 2011 6:56 am

Does anyone know how I can sustain my independence?
I'm told if you live together with a woman you become common law.

If I want to marry someone I'll marry them I don't need to be told by staying together for an amount of time that I am automatically married.

I'm in Canada, regardless I would love any information, ideas or suggestions.

Thanks
Joe Blow.
JOEBLOW

Re: Common law

Postby pedawson » Fri May 13, 2011 4:30 pm

Go tribal, simple ceremony but under common law. You only Register a marriage in court, we call this a civil ceremony and it's so the authorities recognise you are married.
Who really cares if the authorities sanction your matrimony?
In common law there are two parties in a marriage, in civil ceremonies there are three; you your spouse and the authorities.

Marriage is about commitment to one another and there are NO benefits financially, it is a pledge to one another to be together for life regardless of any adversity. A civil wedding is about - benefits; tax, social claims, insurance etc.
Your nuptials , not pre, should be written, to avoid any comebacks from the authorities later on, regarding property and offspring, and they should be witnessed and binding.
Yes it is a type of contract, but that is what one is saying when one joins with anther for the journey through life together. A will may be required and only alterable when additions are made to the family.

Remember your nuptials are between you and your partner and no-one else the will is for additions.
This is the common law marriage and does not require permission or official sanctioning through official documentation.
A civil marriage registers your marriage and is officially recognised by the authorities.

You should not have any problems if you get the common law paperwork correct.
Note, you may not be recognised by the authorities as being married but this does not mean your aren't, you are saying we are not interested in the system benefit of registering through the official route, we will manage our own affairs thank you.

Namastye, phil;
Don't be surprised to discover that luck favours those who are prepared
pedawson

Re: Common law

Postby JOEBLOW » Fri May 13, 2011 9:57 pm

Thing is I don't want to be married at all. We live together and right now that is all i want. I don't want to pledge anything and I don't want the authorities or the tax man knocking on my door saying "hmm look like a common law marriage we have here"
Screw that.
With that said - I was told in some cases even if you have an agreement on paper saying we are not married and don't wish marriage blah blah blah they still turn around and say we don't care - it's beyond this period of time so ... it's common law for tax purposes.

I was told there is the length of time you are together for the TAX man ... call it maybe 3 years then there is the Civil and perhaps it's like 1 year so depending on who's coming after you for living together for a set period of time someone is going to try and tell me I'm in common law.

What action do I need to take to prevent this?

I am grateful for help - not many people give it freely these days.

Joe Blow.
JOEBLOW

Return to General Freeman related questions