How many words make up the extant law

How many words make up the extant law

Postby squark » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:23 pm

I asked Archive.gov staff, if wanted to read all of the "law" that I "understand" how many words would it be?
Heres the reply:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Unfortunately, as we do not hold this information, it does not matter whether you request it under Freedom of Information or not. Nor would it be possible for us to compile this information as the volume of in-force legislation is so great, that it would be virtually impossible for anyone to answer the question of the number of words contained within it, even with no time limitation.

Basically there is a cost limit (section 12) in the Freedom of Information Act, which means that if exceeded an authority is not obliged to respond to the request. The limit for The National Archives is £600, which works out at about 3 and a half days of one individuals time.

In truth, it would be difficult for anyone to even calculate how many items of legislation there are that are currently in force. There are more than 5,000 (an approximation) pieces of General, Primary legislation on the Statute book which are at least partially in force. This does not account for Local and Private Acts, Church Measures, or any secondary legislation such as Statutory Instruments, of which several thousand are drafted and become law each year, associated with Acts and Measures. Secondary legislation can also be revoked by other, later, Primary or Secondary legislation, and are also sometimes time bound which leads to them lapsing.

So I am afraid that we are unable to assist you in this matter.
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Enough said? :puzz:
And the Lord spake unto his people, he said "Get Off MY Bloody Land!"
And the people gave unto the Lord, freely they gave him The Finger
squark

Re: How many words make up the extant law

Postby pedawson » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:21 pm

At first I thought, this is a stupid FOI request, however the instant I thought it and was reading it, it came to me that we ARE supposed to KNOW the LAW.
It is no defence that the LAW is not known. So the response is, from their own words, NO-ONE can know the whole LAW as it is so vast and is being generated in the thousands every year and some old ones that they do not know about or are so old they are forgotten are laid to waste.

It is one thing standing in court and saying the LAW is so vast I am not able to know it all, and being told it is no defence and standing in court with a document of this nature stating in their own words 'no one person knows all the law.'

Good post and thanks.

Namaste, rev;
Don't be surprised to discover that luck favours those who are prepared
pedawson

Postby squark » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Maybe this always applies, when I went to a council tax hearing and asked about contracts between myself an the Govt, from the legal adviser/clerks assistant...."citizens are deemed to understand the law" ie. A judgement is made, based on whatever evidence they have. I think this is where the assumption comes into play. They assume and thats the evidence they use to deem understanding. Provide evidence to the contrary!

Tell them" I believe in HONESTY, in telling the TRUTH, especially in important places like this court (creep creep). For and on the record- I don't understand because there's too much, its not accessible or decipherable." "I have tried but the language is archaic, there are too many cross references, too many articles requiring updating, it changes day by day, I don't have the time. I JUST SIMPLE HONESTLY DON'T UNDERSTAND. Please update you records and adjust your deemed judgements accordingly. Good day to you"

That should cancel the contract.
Why do I get the feeling it just aint that simple and why do I double do get the feeling that previously complicated things have always been solved with simple answers.
squark

Postby Freeman Stephen » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:57 pm

Ignorantia juris non excusat - "ignorance of rights does not excuse"
Ignorantia legis neminem excusat - "ignorance of rules excuses no one"

Theres no such word for "law" in latin as we consider "law" today.
Freeman Stephen

Postby squark » Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:32 am

Maybe it makes no difference how many words there are. If they are defined this stupidly whats even the point.

citizen n. person who by place of birth, nationality of one or both parents, or by going through the naturalization process has sworn loyalty to a nation.

Lets abbreviate: citizen n. person who by place of birth has sworn loyalty to a nation.
Bunch of muppets aren't they!
squark

Return to Freedom of Information only