Police FOI Well we dont want to tell you

Police FOI Well we dont want to tell you

Postby woodman » Tue May 11, 2010 12:15 pm

A friend's 17 year old son had just left his house, nice and smart ready to go out on the town. The lad got about as far as 10 houses down his road, when they pulled up and wanted to search him. Twenty minutes later, they let him go on his way, as any fool could see, he wasn't doing anything wrong.

My friend wanted to know the reasons why this is happening to his lad and other people in the area. So I said, it's probably the old "Section 60", I 'll ask FOI, and see if there was a "Section 60 order" in place on that day.

This I did, the reply came back that they were refusing to give the information on the basis that I had made a similar request (I had asked about Section 60 for a different day) and a reasonable amount of time had not passed, (a month had passed). A reasonable time in this particular Officers point of view is 60 days :puzz: Hmmm it's 20 days to respond to an FOI request and 40 for a Data Protection Act request.

So I told my mate, he would be best doing it himself as he had never made a request so that cannot apply to him. I was wrong, he also got refused the information, as his request was similar to the request made by me and as a result the request is "vexatious" lol you couldn;'t make it up could you.

So, in our area, there may be a "law" that gives Police the right to stop and search you without reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime, that "law" may or may not be in place and we have NO right to know whether it is or whether it is not, we are just supposed to accept a Police Officers word on this.

Secret "laws" eh, would be interesting to get a Policemans viewpoint on this :thinks:
‘Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, no one but ourselves can free our minds’- Robert Nesta Marley (1945 - 1981)

‘All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing’ - Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Police FOI Well we dont want to tell you

Postby treeman » Tue May 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Like your ever gonna get the truth. :peace:
I'll make no subscription to their paradise.

All Rights Reserved - Without Prejudice - Without Recourse - Non-Assumpsit
Errors & Omissions Excepted
treeman

Postby Jim » Tue May 11, 2010 7:34 pm

I'd wait until the 60 days from your original request are up and then re-submit the question along with an explanation of why they have no right to with-hold the information and copy in the Office of the Information Commissioner.

:peace:

J
All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.
Jim

Postby woodman » Tue May 11, 2010 7:39 pm

Yes I'll tell my mate to do that Jim, they will probably find another reason not to give the info.

I can't be arsed with them frankly now, and I told them so in an email, bet they're made up I'm gonna leave them alone lol

:peace:
‘Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, no one but ourselves can free our minds’- Robert Nesta Marley (1945 - 1981)

‘All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing’ - Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby huntingross » Tue May 11, 2010 8:28 pm

Your friend could send them a notice, the basic premise being -

"I have the right to ask this question as often and as frequently as you see fit to impose random searches with or without the required paperwork in place. You as public servants and I as your master demand it of you"

Add in deadlines and tacit stuff etc.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby 1965freeman » Tue May 11, 2010 9:52 pm

I suggest you ask a policyman higher up the tree,
eg. Dear Chief constable, can you explain why it is your staff refused bah blah.....any statutory regulation regarding this , blah blah

wanna waste MY time? I'll respond in kind.
"Come to the edge, he said. They said: We are afraid. Come to the edge, he said. They came. He pushed them and they flew.” (G.Apollinaire)
I do not offer legal advice, I offer common sense suggestions based on shared knowledge.
1965freeman

Postby woodman » Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Section 14 (2), Freedom of Information Act, 2000, apparently. My request (not me they stress) is vexatious :puzz: and as my friend has asked for the same information, his first ever FOI request is also deemed vexatious.

woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jim » Tue May 11, 2010 10:34 pm

You could ask them on what grounds it is deemed to be vexatious. "Vexatious" just means annoying. Perhaps if your local constabulary find checking whether a Section 60 order was in place in a certain area at a certain time annoying then I would respectfully suggest they are in the wrong job.
All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.
Jim

Return to Freedom of Information only