Bill Hicks - freeman?

Bill Hicks - freeman?

Postby Hooplescat » Fri May 15, 2009 10:37 am

I have mentioned this in passing before.

I am not sure how many of you have heard of, or listened to, Bill Hicks. For those who don't know he was a comedian/philosopher who died in 1994 from pancreatic cancer at a young age.

His humour is sometimes sick, very blunt, littered with offensive language and sometimes themes. It is not for the delicate.

But it is a hugely interesting tirade against government and media and control and lack of freedom. I have always admired him and his views, and everything he stood for a decade or more ago is frighteningly current even today. I am amused and puzzled to find that having spent time on this forum with you lovely people, that I must conclude you would consider his views to be directly in line with your own, and that Bill, one of my political and philosophical heroes, was probably a freeman!

Can I recommend that those of you who don't flinch at bad language and black humour listen to him - I think you would find it valuable and funny. You can get (prob from a torrent) his CD 'Rant in E Minor', and this tackles many of the topics you discuss. Fake economy, media control etc. There are others, but e minor might be an accessible start point.

I hope some of you take the time and appreciate him...

:police:
Hooplescat

Re: Bill Hicks - freeman?

Postby huntingross » Fri May 15, 2009 11:12 am

Hey Hoop

It was some american friends that introduced him to me, some while back....very funny, and the basis for all satire is right on target. Not for the feint hearted.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby MikeThomas » Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 am

DITTO GUYS! Bill Hicks would have been a superstar had he lived. His comedy is intelligent, inciteful and most of all, BLOODY FUNNY. I loved the routine about the Iran/Iraq Contra affair.

" Iran has weapons of mass destruction."

"How do you Americans know?"

"Well........We looked at the receipt"
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Postby wayland » Fri May 15, 2009 11:46 am

Hi Hoops hows things?

Yeh Bill was great he knew what was goin on, i would imagine his spirit was free like his mind
so in essence yes i do believe he was a "free man".

David icke quotes him in his talks and thought he was great too!!

peace to ya

wayland
"By the skillful and sustained use of propaganda, one can make a people see even heaven as hell or an extremely wretched life as paradise." - Adolph Hitler
wayland

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Fri May 15, 2009 11:47 am

Pancreatic cancer.....fast acting........anti-PTB......hmm........ :thinks:

What was it he said -

'They kill all the good guys.....Martin Luther King - murdered; Malcolm X - murdered; Gandhi - murdered; John Lennon - murdered" (I would add BIll Hicks - murdered to that, personally)

Watching television is like taking black spray paint to your third eye.

We gotta come to some new ideas about life folks ok? I'm not being blase about abortion, it might be a real issue, it might not, doesn't matter to me. What matters is that if you believe in the sanctity of life then you believe it for life of all ages. That's what I hate about this child-worship syndrome going on. "Save the children! They're killing children! How many children were at Waco? They're killing children!" What does that mean? They reach a certain age and they're off your fucking love-list? Fuck your children, if that's the way you think then fuck you too. You either love all people of all ages or you shut the fuck up.

My fave of all time....

The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride... And we... kill those people.
They must find it hard to take Truth for authority who have so long mistaken Authority for Truth - Gerald Massey
BaldBeardyDude

Postby jobsaboba » Fri May 15, 2009 11:58 am

The world is like a ride in an amusement park. And when you choose to go on it, you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. And the ride goes up and down and round and round. It has thrills and chills and it's very brightly coloured and it's very loud and it's fun, for a while. Some people have been on the ride for a long time and they begin to question, is this real, or is this just a ride? And other people have remembered, and they come back to us, they say, "Hey - don't worry, don't be afraid, ever, because, this is just a ride... And we... kill those people.

Here Here, The man is a legend !

Jobs
I am not wise......I am otherwise !

its not my banking system... and i dont take credit for it !!
jobsaboba

Postby Hooplescat » Fri May 15, 2009 12:23 pm

hahahaha

OK, I see I am preaching to the converted.

Hicks is a hero of mine, and I believe his politics and philosophy were were 100% spot on. A very intelligent man.

Funny I think - it illustrates quite well the common ground between you all and I. It is interesting that I vehemently disagree with some of the ideas put forward here, and yet we all agree that Bill's basic outlook on the issues of media, control, morality, economy, treatment of people.

I wish I could draw a venn diagram in this box. I think I would be one side, you all the other, and Bill would be the overlap

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:peace:

Hooplescat

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Fri May 15, 2009 12:49 pm

Not to be contentious Hoops - never that for me, but remember - YOU put yourself there, WE don't. You CHOSE your circle, m8. Our circle is all-encompassing, we love you no matter what. Can those in your circle do that? - universal love?

Have ya read the commitee of 300 yet? - doubt it - do your homework, it's no good laughing along with it - Bill was trying to get a message out by his medium - humour.

Don't let him do it in vain - read m8, learn what is done in OUR name - that's yours, too btw

Peace and love,

Baldy
They must find it hard to take Truth for authority who have so long mistaken Authority for Truth - Gerald Massey
BaldBeardyDude

Postby Hooplescat » Sat May 16, 2009 3:07 am

Don't get me wrong mate. I agree...

I just mean that if you strip away a lot of the stuff I don't agree with here, there is a core message that I do, and that's where my belief system and yours seem to overlap - those things seem to be a lot of the message that Bill Hicks was trying to put forward in his own inimitable way.

And yours is a kind heart, not everyone here loves me :in love: :in love: :in love: :grr: :in love: :in love:

:hug:

Hooplescat

Postby BaldBeardyDude » Sat May 16, 2009 8:50 am

Again, m8 - you are jumping to conclusions - EVERYONE here practices universal love, m8. That doesn't mean that, just like a wayward family member, we can't try to bollock some sense into you now and again. Neither does it mean we will ever give up trying. Patience is the thing with me - I was a sniper, that takes patience, which I have in bucket-loads, m8.

There is no 'overlap' dude - we are all human, are we not? - so where is the separate bit for you then? There is only one club, one family - you have to love them, but you don't have to like what they do all the time.

I just want you to actually do the reading you so desperately need to my friend, as does everyone else here. We just go about it in different ways is all.....

They still love ya though - ALL of them.

Now, get feckin reading you arse :grin:

Peace and love,

Baldy (Pete)
BaldBeardyDude

Next

Return to General chat