Bill of Rights - Bad laws are unlawful?

Bill of Rights - Bad laws are unlawful?

Postby NoName » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Hi folks,
I was reading the UK's 'Bill of Rights' - it's was a reaction to the tyranical government of King James - and was wondering what folk thought of this bit:

"And they do claim, demand and insist upon all and singular the premises as their undoubted rights and liberties, and that no declarations, judgments, doings or proceedings to the prejudice of the people in any of the said premises ought in any wise to be drawn hereafter into consequence or example; to which demand of their rights they are particularly encouraged by the declaration of his Highness the prince of Orange as being the only means for obtaining a full redress and remedy therein"

To me - this says that the government is not allowed to pass any laws, oops I mean Acts, which harm people... As far as I know it's still binding.

What do y'all think? Here's a link to the full text:
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/17th_century/england.asp
“Person” includes a body of persons corporate or unincorporate.
Interpretation Act 1978 (c.30)
NoName

Re: Bill of Rights - Bad laws are unlawful?

Postby Veronica » Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:33 pm

Well, yes.

The plain fact is that any 'legislated rule of any society' must remain within Common Law. This was written in the days when that was understood.

Indeed, by their own Statutes they can be brought to book ... let alone Common Law!

The only problem is that a Statute turns an Inalienable Irrevocable Natural Right ... into a revocable privilege ... if we rely on Statutes.
Freedom's just another word for: "Nothing left to lose" (Janis Joplin)
"There is no path to peace, peace IS the path" (Mahatma Ghandi)
"There is no path to freedom, freedom IS the path" (Veronica Chapman)
Veronica
Founder
Founder

Return to General chat