Help advice & assisatnce (power generation)

Re: Help advice & assisatnce (power generation)

Postby Freeman Stephen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:20 pm

I calculate five metres deep for a million litres 25m circumference. why not place the turbine in the river? its not going to flow faster than that unless you buffer it and release at intervals. when you release it you need to watch you dont flood anyone and when you buffer it ten to twenty percent of the water should go unnoticed, but they could shut you down during a drought even if you make it past the four/twelve year limitation period. the litres per second is dependent on what the weather has been like over the past week or so. wait for the dryest period and measure it at the worst case. i would double check the planning law for this because the loopholes for navigable rivers are likely very different. im sure you can still acquire the right if no one complains for long enough.
Freeman Stephen

Postby holy vehm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:24 pm

Freeman Stephen wrote:I calculate five metres deep for a million litres 25m circumference. why not place the turbine in the river? its not going to flow faster than that unless you buffer it and release at intervals. when you release it you need to watch you dont flood anyone and when you buffer it ten to twenty percent of the water should go unnoticed, but they could shut you down during a drought even if you make it past the four/twelve year limitation period. the litres per second is dependent on what the weather has been like over the past week or so. wait for the dryest period and measure it at the worst case. i would double check the planning law for this because the loopholes for navigable rivers are likely very different. im sure you can still acquire the right if no one complains for long enough.

Thats an interesting calculation, i would have thought it deeper than that, so only 5 meters deep is satisfactory.

I did consider placing the turbine in the river but having looked into the turbines they work better when they have a consistent flow/pressure which i can achieve with a header lake and then as the river rises and drops with the weather/seasons i wont be affected too much.

So far it seems that no 'permission' is required to create a header lake and do what i propose, there are some rules regards holding the water or removing the water from the river but that shouldn't apply as it will still flow through an overflow system.

One thing i found out today is in order to 'benefit' from the feed in tariff you have to apply for a license which costs £3500, not sure if this is yearly or a one off but its to prove your equipment and setup meets industry standards. You receive 21p per kw produced and and additional 3p per kw from the government. There is also a rather lot of red tape which usually equals a fiat cost. The taxman does not make a claim against any income generated from this scheme.

The alternative, and preferred option is to make your own contact with the electricity companies who pay around 15p per kw and will take as much as you produce. The company generally installs a meter, once your power passes the meter, thats how much the company has had and is due to pay for. No license is required and again the taxman makes no claim.

All this is subject to change tho, there is an awful lot of info out there and some is conflicting due to the fact that rules/regulations and so forth are constantly changing.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby Freeman Stephen » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:39 pm

I used to get electric at seven p per kw. cant you just sell them their own electricity back and make a fortune?
Freeman Stephen

Postby holy vehm » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:44 pm

Freeman Stephen wrote:I used to get electric at seven p per kw. cant you just sell them their own electricity back and make a fortune?

Well i did wonder how much i pay at the moment per kw.

It also seems that they pay me for the elec i generate and use myself as well as what i dont use and sell back to them, but like i say, there is that much info to go through and dealing with anything that may bring a benefit to me is usually covered in red tape.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Previous

Return to Building a New Society