long now foundation

long now foundation

Postby holy vehm » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before but if not heres a very interesting website from the long now foundation.
http://www.longnow.org/about/
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Re: long now foundation

Postby huntingross » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:01 pm

I think our vision of the long view is linked to our vision of looking out into space, the "what if".

We stopped looking out and started looking in.....micro to nano.....it's as if we can't do both together.

Looking out is given lip service, but it doesn't capture the imagination anymore.

For those of us that lived through the space race, or those of you who have watched a film The Dish, it was exciting times, on the brink of something great....that was never realised.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby Revs » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:06 pm

Totally agree. I think, whether it's due to lack of inspiration or over reliance on governments, people are generally less fascinated in 'looking out'. Or at least being involved with the development of space craft and not just hoping to be the end user. If the space race is going to happen it's going to be down to private individuals and small groups. The X prize the best example of this. Burt Rutan, the winner of the x prize challenge, is just the founder of a small aircraft company, but with a little inspiration he developed a space craft that will take 'normal' people in to space! And continues to develop it with the help (finances) of Richard Branson. It's projects like this that are going to get people interested in looking out again. Also, it's the best chance of getting the average Jo in to space. It's simply no going to happen while we leave it to the governments.

As for the Long Now idea; I like it, but I'm not confident it will have the desired effect. Getting people to think about the future is one thing. Inspiring people to actively shape it and make it better is another. Most are too 'busy', leaving the big stuff for someone else to sort. No, it's gonna take something far bigger to get folks to look at the big picture. But at least they're doing something :yes:
Revs

Postby holy vehm » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:57 am

Regards looking out, i think most people see that as the future, something for another day.
We in the west have become a group of humans who want things today, now. We seem to have lost our patience.
The space race was decades in the planning with nothing to show the people. The people of that time were sold a promise, a whole new stage in mankinds evolution yet it seemed to fade away and the only thing that gets people going is a disaster like the shuttle explosions.
The space race will become fashionable again soon because it now has huge commercial benefits. Loans will be taken out so people can go into space, a whole insurance industry will emerge, had an accident in the space hotel, call to make a claim and so on.
And who wouldnt want to go into space, not many i dont think.

Maybe tptb have programmed us to be that way. Their plans have been in the making for centuries in some cases and things like bilderberg were set up in the forties, 50/60 years ago and most would say that the original agenda that these groups set out back then are on course and mostly completed.
Yet we the little people dont plan more than a year or two ahead.

The long now foundation isnt anything new in the grand scheme of things. All great civilizations have attempted to preserve its culture/history/academic achievements ect so the rosetta disk is just the wests attempt to do the same.
There is also a small satellite in orbit which is set to stay there for 1000 years before crashing back to earth. It contains thousands of random emails sent in by people and is designed to preserve our language.
It does make you think though, about the future, not just sometime way off but also our own. We are only here once yet most act as though it goes on for ever and it doesnt, in the grand scheme of things our own lifetimes are just a second in time, a mere blink of the eye.
I think more emphasis should be put on children to look to the future, to make the absolute most of their one oppurtunity of life. That should be the most vital lesson a child should learn. The question they should always ask themselves "is what i am about to do going to benifit or hinder my life"
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby the_common_law_reverend_kenny » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:00 pm

I like that, think long. Cheers. hv
SOVEREIGN: not controlled by outside forces: autonomous; self-governing; independent "a sovereign people" <> "by any peaceful administritive means necessary" - the way of the order.
the_common_law_reverend_kenny

Return to Building a New Society