Survivalism

Survivalism

Postby Bladerunner » Fri May 07, 2010 12:58 pm

This post is not meant to scaremonger, just to make people aware of a possible scenario.

As the Freeman movement gains speed and momentum the government will eventually have to take notice of us. (If they haven't already)

I seriously doubt that this will take the form of sitting down at a table and discussing our issues over a cup of tea. It is most likely going to be in some form of hands on action. This could be in many forms and I am a bit of a pessimist when it comes to this subject. I genuinely believe we are heading towards something (could be a number of different things) that is going to change the world we live in. I am not some 2012 doomist but the world is heading towards something big.

Any survivalist will tell you that we are only 9 meals away from anarchy. That is 3 days. All this post is about, is to advice people to make some plans for the worst case scenario. I am sure some of you will already have made plans.

The government has the power to cut off electricity, gas and water. I have no doubt this would happen if there was civil unrest, a faked terrorist attack, a real natural disaster that could criple a major part of the country, public rebellion on a mass scale, or any of a miriad of other scenarios. Ask yourself, how long could you survive in your home without setting foot outside.

Supermarkets would be emptied in hours if not sooner so take 2 mins and look in your kitchen cupboards. I personally know a few people who only eat fresh healthy diets. They are lucky if they have 2 or 3 days of food. Don't count on the government helping you out, especially if they caused the problem. Just look at the aftermath of Katrina.

I would recommend having a couple of months supply of food in your home, more if you can afford it. Hopefully the "EVENT" will have passed by then. Even if you just stick this extra food in a spare bedroom out of the way and rotate it with the food in your kitchen so it stays fresh. Some survivalists have as much as 2 years of supplies in their house. Keeping it upstairs is also a good idea if you are in an area prone to flooding. Tinned food will last a lot longer than the sell by date. There are a couple of exceptions but that is good rule of thumb. Rice and other dehydrated foods last a long time also.

Have a good first aid kit as well. Make sure to have painkillers, plasters, some form of diocalm, antiseptics, etc.

Get a Water Butt. If your water was turned off now, this very minute, what would you do for water? Keep a number of empty pop bottles, just stick them in the shed or wherever you have room. At the first sign of trouble, fill them up with tap water asap as well as any other pots or pans you have. You could even use the bath.

If you are using water from a water butt, sieve out any bits using an old t-shirt and then boil it. Boiling will kill any bacteria like giardia and crypto-sparidium. How can you boil it if the gas/electricity is off? Get a small camp stove and make sure you have a good supply of gas. You could also get a Kelly Kettle. A cracking piece of kit, not cheap (£30-50) but free to use once you have one. You could even use your Bar-b-que.

Cooking your tinned food. Put some water in a pan, open your tin and put the tin in the pan. DO NOT put your food straight in the pan. Washing up uses a lot of water, eat straight from the tin.

Phones will be one of the first things to go down but did you know that public phones have a seperate power supply and will continue to work, if you can find one. You obviously couldn't phone a mobile in the area where the power was off but you could ring relatives or friends in other parts of the country or abroard.

Arrange with family members on a meeting point so you can work together. The family unit can be a very strong thing in times of trouble and you can pool your resourses.

Sit down and actually think what you use in a normal week. Work out what you can't do without and make sure THAT is what you stock up on. Simple things like toilet paper are taken for granted. Even if you buy the really cheap ones that come in a pack of 48, just keep them for emergencies. Better than using cut up newspaper, argh those were the days.

Keep torches and spare batteries handy. Even better a wind up torch/radio so you never need batteries and can keep an ear out for radio broadcasts. T-lights are very cheap and you would be surprised how few you need in a room to actually heat it. Be careful if you have pets, don't want to burn your house down. Smokers will have a dozen lighters round their house but if you are a non smoker, do you actually have any means of creating fire if the gas and electricity were switched off. Buy some cheap lighters from the pound shop next time you are out.

There are a lot of websites out there with excellent advice on this subject and I have only scraped the surface in an attempt to make people aware of a possible situation. Some of my family think I am a doomist for stocking up on things and say I am too negative and expect the worst. I simply point out that they have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen. When they bought it, did they think, "Ooh ooh, I can't wait to get a chip pan fire so I can use my new Fire Extinguisher" or "I can't wait for little Billy to sever his femeral artery so I can try out those Mr Men plasters." :ouch:

I would rather have something I might need but never use, than not have something I need and don't have.
I would be happy to point people in the right direction if they would like more info on this subject.

Be lucky
Even if you are in a minority of one, the truth is still the truth.
Bladerunner

Re: Survivalism

Postby Farmerboy » Fri May 07, 2010 1:17 pm

I quite agree.

IMO, when civil unrest happens, tptb will cut phones, electricity, water and gas. They do it in hostage situations so they'll do it here too.

Water? I live in Devon so it rains a lot. Food, I must admit I don't have enough in storage but we do have gas and oil. I have enough wood stored to last years and a good collection of handtools, which are cheap to run.

Infrastructure. Make sure that your home is well maintained and secure. If you do get a big, growly dog then remember that you've got to feed it.

We get snowed in every year - 2 weeks nearly this year - so we get a bit of practice. Remember the electricity will only come on when tptb have restored order... Books, pencils, playing cards, mexican dominoes and definately, a wind up radio on FM and if you can, long wave.

Get and read 'Emergency' by niel strauss.

Keep well

FB
And the Emperor said "Throw the pedants to the lions!” And the pedants replied “Which kind of lions? There’s two types, you know…”
Farmerboy

Postby Bladerunner » Fri May 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Hi Farmerboy,

I said some people will have some plans in place and getting snowed in is perfect practice. I have read a lot up on survivalism and the only thing I personally see as a problem is food.

If I got caught out in the wild I would have a better chance than most at surviving but without food we all die sooner or later.

In England water is not a major problem because of the rain/rivers/streams/lakes/ponds etc. Some extreme situations might mean that most of these could get polluted so rain would be the cleanest solution. I feel a water butt is the best option for this but steralising it is vital.

Your advice for members with children is a very good point. Keeping them occupied would be a major job if their PS3's didn't have power.

I could have made the post a lot loonger and more detailed but the info is available elsewhere for anyone who wants to look into it.

By the way, your avatar gives me the eabie geabies. Donald Sutherland was great in that movie but my nightmares have now returned and I think it is your avatars fault. How about a guy driving a tractor or a combine harvester. Something a little less scarey. :thinks:
Bladerunner

Postby Farmerboy » Fri May 07, 2010 4:21 pm

You're not the first to comment on the avatar. Donald Sutherland you say? What was the film? It looked like something off "The Fast Show" to me. Jessies diets kind of thing...

Anyway, if you get into farming, then from our side it is more like that. If you are on the retail end - where the fluffy bunnies and tree huggers live then you'll want a pretty little tractor and all the animals get on with each other.

How about me shooting something? Or gutting a deer? Artificial Insemination of a cow with POV perhaps? You name it and i'll see what I can do! :giggle:

Off to the hunt ball tonight and yes it's a dance, not a raffle...

FB
And the Emperor said "Throw the pedants to the lions!” And the pedants replied “Which kind of lions? There’s two types, you know…”
Farmerboy

Postby holy vehm » Fri May 07, 2010 7:31 pm

The film farmerboy is invasion of the body snatchers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invasion_of_the_Body_Snatchers_(1978_film)

I had the conversation myself yesterday blade runner. The way i see it you have two choices, hope or prepare.
Hope it doesnt happen or prepare for if it does. I choose prepare.

A few links of interest:

http://www.wilderness-survival-skills.com/trapanimals.html
http://www.ageless.co.za/herbal_remedies.htm
http://www.selfsufficientish.com/hayboxcooker.htm
http://www.instructables.com/id/Gas-Bottle-Wood-Burner/
http://www.off-grid.net/2007/10/15/how-to-build-a-free-wood-burner/

Or if you want to go the full monty:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4898789_build-underground-bunker-shelter.html

You can dig a hole in the ground, insert a shipping container into a concrete pipe and bury it. Ok a bit more to it than that but you get my drift.
http://www.sjonescontainers.co.uk/
http://www.acp-concrete.co.uk/Precast%20Concrete%20Bunker%20Walls.html
http://www.concretepipes.co.uk/index.html
http://www.survivalcenter.com/UG.html#Under Ground
http://www.mod-sales.com/
http://www.bcbin.com/
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby Farmerboy » Fri May 07, 2010 7:47 pm

HV!

This is a side we haven't seen before! You're normally so shy and retiring!

You'll be telling me next that you know how to sharpen a penknife...

But I will go and look. I am pretty well placed here - 9/10, always room for improvement.

:clap: FB
Farmerboy

Postby holy vehm » Fri May 07, 2010 7:55 pm

Farmerboy wrote:This is a side we haven't seen before! You're normally so shy and retiring!

ssshh

Farmerboy wrote:You'll be telling me next that you know how to sharpen a penknife...

Still not got the hang of it :giggle:

Doom and gloom right up my alley :giggle:

Its the end of the world as we know it (who sang that :puzz: was it REM?)

:peace:
hv
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby Bladerunner » Sat May 08, 2010 10:14 am

holy vehm wrote:The film farmerboy is invasion of the body snatchers.

Quite right HV, the film is indeed Invasion of the Body Snatchers. A great film. Sadly your avatar ruins the end of the film if you haven't seen it. :grin:

Thanks for the input HV. Some great links there. The way I see it you have two other choices. You can defend your food/resourses from the marauding gangs that will be out looking for food, or you can hide it.

Defending would involve serious amounts of violence which would be best avoided. Don't want to have to open that box of Mr. Men plasters too soon. :ouch:

I prefer the hide it method. They are less likely to find something if they don't know where it is or that it even exists. I have thought about burying a container so we are on the same page there. I never thought about putting it in a concrete pipe though, so nice one there.

I am hoping to buy an acre or two when I get some cash together. I would love to build an underground house. Has anyone built a house on greenbelt land using their Notice of Understanding? When I do I would grateful for any farming help. I was also thinking of adding the right to own a gun in my Notice of Understanding. I wonder if anyone else has done this. How could you even buy a gun if the seller insisted on seeing a licence? Would this alert the PTB too much? Could I expect a visit? I am quite the pacifist, however I could probably find an inner strength if the need or situation called for it and my family was in danger.

I know some people will not agree with the gun thing but as I said earlier, better to have something and not need to use it than not have something you do need.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Be lucky.
Bladerunner

Postby DoctorYoghourt » Sun May 09, 2010 2:37 pm

When the denouement comes, if it does - I happen to think that the system will grind on until it collapses under the weight of its own stupidity and that no-one will really get hurt - the last place that any sensible man or woman would want to be is any centre of population. Think about that. Your next-door neighbour reads tabloids and watches tv and suddenly realises that his world has collapsed. He's got no food and you've got lots. That's a conflict situation that you cannot win. No, the best thing to do in preparation for a crisis is to be able to drop everything you don't need - which is almost everything you own - and head for the hills. In the meantime, learn to forage and to hunt. Make damn sure that you can spend as long as it takes in the mountains. Cities aren't safe in good times. In bad times they'll be the death of you.
DoctorYoghourt

Postby DoctorYoghourt » Sun May 09, 2010 2:51 pm

Furthermore, do not, should society appear to be collapsing around you, even attempt to stay in contact with your friends and comrades. Everything is traceable. The powers-that-be already read everything that we write to each other. They know where we live, and you can be sure that they already have plans for our incarceration should the system fall apart. What they're counting on is being able to round us up like sheep. We need to plan accordingly.
DoctorYoghourt

Next

Return to Building a New Society