BBC Unsolicted Goods and Services Act 1971

BBC related crime in here.

BBC Unsolicted Goods and Services Act 1971

Postby jimtib » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Hi Freemen,

I’m looking for advice/help/opinions regarding my (not) paying the BBC TV licence. When Her Maj came to visit me recently on her tour, I made a statement something like “I don’t see why I should pay the BBC when I’m already paying Virgin Media for the TV channels that include all the BBC programmes”. The sound advice given by Veronica was simply “stop paying and rebut”. I’ve just changed the TVL over to my name (it was in my wife’s name) and will have to wait till June for the renewal (in my own name) before I can cancel payment and make any rebuttal.

In the meantime, I’ve been thinking, “why should I pay for something that I have not actually ordered nor want?” So I checked it out with the local Trading Standards Dep’t and ascertained that it is a criminal offence for anyone to send unsolicited goods or services and demand payment for it, especially with menaces; and comes under The Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971. Here’s the link:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatutes/Acts/ukpga/1971/cukpga_19710030_en_1

Quote: F1S. 1 omitted (31.10.2000) by virtue of S.I. 2000/2334, reg. 22(2)
2 Demands and threats regarding payment
(1)A person who, not having reasonable cause to believe there is a right to payment, in the course of any trade or business makes a demand for payment, or asserts a present or prospective right to payment, for what he knows are unsolicited goods sent (after the commencement of this Act) to another person with a view to his acquiring them [F1for the purposes of his trade or business], shall be guilty of an offence and on summary conviction shall be liable to a fine not exceeding [F2level 4 on the standard scale].

The facts are as follows:

1. I am not and never have been an employee or signed any membership agreement with BBC and its affiliates (TVLA) that contracts me to abide by its corporate rules.
2. I have never ordered any goods/services from the said corporation, rather, they have been imposed on me without my consent or approval.
3. I DO NOT want to receive any television/radio signals that are sent to my address from said corporation, given the fact that I have plenty of TV channels and “pay to view” films to choose from my TV provider.

I am now thinking of writing to the BBC/TVL and informing them that:
By continuing to send me their unsolicted and unwanted TV/Radio signals for which they expect me to pay for with menaces (court action), they are committing a criminal offence.
That they are causing me financial loss (TVL payment) by doing so; and the perceived threat of court action for non-payment of unsolicited and unwanted goods/services is causing me anguish (mental harm).
That should the BBC continue to send TV/Radio signals to my address, then I will charge the BBC £250.00 to receive them.

I’d be grateful for any advice and opinions (will it work etc.) on the topic
Best Wishes James:
jimtib

Re: BBC Unsolicted Goods and Services Act 1971

Postby Farmer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Just give up watching TV, you'll never miss it.

If you think this through you will see that the BBC has a right to broadcast. They are also unable to not broadcast to you. If you want the judge to have you committed, this is a good way to go about it. You won't get any support from your neighbours who are all watching the broadcasts.
If you're scared of 'them' poisoning 'us' with some shit then maybe you haven't noticed the shit they are already poisoning us with.
- prajna - fmotl.co.uk forum 2011
Farmer

Postby jimtib » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi Farmer,

Many thanks my friend for your reply. I'm open to all comments good or bad, positive/negative. As I said, I'm just testing the waters here and I respect your views and everyone else's. However, I have my own views which, I think, are equally valid; but I will make my final decision on the comments/advice of others. I was just wondering if there were other alternatives than the TPUC path of "It's treason" and Veronica's straight forward "rebuttal and let them chase you" etc. in order to lawfully stop paying the BBC TVL. Fact is, I don't feel like running.

Re: Your comments:

1) "Just give up watching TV, you'll never miss it"..... I'm medically retired with nothing to do most days and do enjoy TV (why not?), especially Documentaries/Factual/Sports etc. I choose what I want to watch, I do not choose to watch BBC programmes given the fact I have 160+ other channels to choose from and I can live quite happily without the BBC programmes. I am able to choose my mobile-phone provider and any "add on" services. They too are "broadcasters" and use the ether, but none of them can force me to choose their network against my will, nor can they impose their product onto me and charge me for it; which begs the question: What's so special about the BBC? After all and as far as I know, it is a private company operating for profit like every other business.

2) "The BBC has a right to broadcast"..... It does indeed. Fair comment, here's mine: I am a sovereign human being with a soul, I have a fundamental right to refuse the BBCs goods/services (broadcasts) should I choose to do so without any harrassment or penalty. If every shop, company, corporation or service provider operated the same business malpractise as the BBC, we would all have a house full of assorted unwanted, un-ordered goods/painters/roofers/apliances/whatever etc. That we would be liable to pay for regardless and be in debt up to our eyeballs.

3) "They are also unable to not broadcast to you";...... Again, I agree with you absolutely; but I am not asking the BBC to stop broadcasting their TV/Radio signals, I am quite happy for those who want to watch to BBC programmes to carry on doing so. I am simply asking (or rather, thinking of it) the BBC to stop charging me for goods/services that I have not ordered and do not require from them. Again, mobile-phone/radio stations are "unable to not broadcast their signals to me, you or anyone else", but they don't charge people for services rendered, except to those who actually contract with them to use their bandwidth and services. I have not (knowingly) contracted with the BBC or the TVLA and as far as I'm concerned, owe them nothing.

4) "If you want the judge to have you committed"......NO, I want the judge committed, considering all judges and their ilk in the Law Society are psycho's and the enemy of all freemen, common law and common decency.

Please keep the comments coming, I'm on a freeman learning curve and this ex-sheep is just learning to say baaaa-lux. There just has to be a way to use their own legislation against them.

Thanks again Farmer, much obliged

James:
jimtib

Postby Farmer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:06 pm

This is what I was referring to:

By continuing to send me their unsolicted and unwanted TV/Radio signals

If however you are only wanting them to stop hounding you, I would do it, just be careful what you write as the above has a totally different meaning.

Personally, I just throw the letters in the bin and shut the door when they call round. But it would be interesting to see how you got on with your approach.
If you're scared of 'them' poisoning 'us' with some shit then maybe you haven't noticed the shit they are already poisoning us with.
Farmer

Postby huntingross » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:18 pm

This post sums up my opinion towards the subject and an excellent alternative from Oliver Cromwell

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3442&hilit=broadcast+reckless#p32670
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby jimtib » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Hi Farmer

Gotcha, thanks for pointing that one out. You're quite right, I need the input of cleverer men/women than I, who know the Law and someone who is a dabb hand at letter writing. Any offers?

Obviously, It is a lot easier for those who don't have/use TVs, as If and when the org-bots come with a policy-man there is nothing there for them to prosecute on. I am contracted with Virgin Media and can be traced through my bank statements and cannot deny the fact I'm receiving TV signals, which is the reason for this fact-finding mission.

The other thing I'm grappling with is LIABILITY. Being a VM paying customer, all my TV signals (including BBC) come via underground cable, so I am not actually using any signal that comes to my address via the ether/airwaves directly. One can only assume that VM must first receive the BBC (and Sky) signals via the airwaves and then transmit them to their customers via their underground cable network. If thats the case, then logically, VM is reponsible for paying the TVLA for receiving the BBC signal, given the fact that that cost should already be reflected in my VM payments? I don't see why I should pay TVL and VM for receiving the same BBC channels. Although I've spent years without an arial and received no signal when breakdowns with the cable network occurred, I recently purchased an arial to cover that, but I can easily remove the plugs from the co-ax and disable the arial.

Does the TV Licence equate to a TV Registration Document as in the DVLA V5 for a road vehicle? Do electrical goods retailers have the right to part with my personal information without my consent under the Data Protection Act? I'd be grateful if someone can answer these questions and others that have cropped up that I haven't thought of, I'd be grateful.

Re: "But it would be interesting to see how you got on with your approach"...... I would like to try my approach for the same reasons and prepared to do so if the outcome is looking favourable; but If all else fails come June when my TVL is up for renewal, I'll take the "bin it and rebut it" approach. I'm hoping to catch them out with the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act; but I'm not sure if there is any legislation that exempts the BBC from the Act and knowing the slimey org-bots in Parliament, they've probably thought of that.

James:
jimtib

Postby Farmer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:12 pm

huntingross wrote:This post sums up my opinion towards the subject and an excellent alternative from Oliver Cromwell

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=3442&hilit=broadcast+reckless#p32670

Yes, that is a clever thought.
Farmer

Postby Farmer » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:23 pm

jimtib, I can't really help you much with this. What I know is that if you let them in when they come round they may enter when they like at other times. If you refuse to let them in, they have no right to enter ever. If they take you to court they have to prove they could see a tv from outside. Just because you subscribe to cable does not mean you have a TV. I for example can watch many programs on free digital on my PC over the internet. I can also watch the BBC news channel.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7459669.stm

What is really interesting about the forum is the way different people have different ideas about how to solve problems. You may come up with something that is very unique and worthwhile pursuing.

There are also other threads here that discuss the TV license.
Farmer

Postby jimtib » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:59 am

Hi Farmer & Huntingross

Re: Post by Cromwell....."I know of one man who wrote to the TV people asking them to stop their free supply of electromagnetic signals through his property. Since he had given them no permit to broadcast them through his property. And asking them, if they did not stop sending them, to allow him to receive them free of charge as a fair settlement. Unfortunately he did not give them a time limit to consider his reasonable offer. They never replied."

I agree with both of you, that is a bloody good idea and very similar to my own. I stated a similar argument independantly (cross my heart) in my first post on this topic, that is: I do not wish to receive the BBC programmes and if the BBC continue sending unsolicited and unwanted (electromagnetic) signals to my address, I would charge the BBC £250.00 to receive them....As the man above stated, I would be happy to receive the BBC signals should the BBC waive the TVL in leu of payment to receive said broadcasts.....Unfortunately, I had to sell my home when I became unfit for work through prolonged illness and am now back in a council house and have no property to call my own; and as you know, being a tenant, I wont get anything from the org-bots from my local authority/landlords and were I to protest to them, it would be ignored or fobbed off.

Re: "Just because you subscribe to cable does not mean you have a TV."..... I'm afraid so, my VM statement states all the services I receive...TV, Broadband and Phone. Those who have authority to do so (which is just about everybody in the public sector) can access that and my bank statements and if the BBC or TVLA don't, the policy-men can on receipt of a complaint or requested investigation from either.

What I am aiming for is to use the power of Common Law with the basic human right to refuse that which I/we simply do not want regardless. What the BBC are doing is akin to Argos (and every other retailer) sending every adult in the land everything in their catalogue at weekly intervals to all our addresses unsolicited/unwanted and then legally making us all pay for what has been sent us, it simply beggars belief. There HAS TO BE a more robust way to stop the BBCs fraudulent con-trick than a simple evasive rebuttal that may or may not be effective and which will only work until the MPs get wind of it and bring in legislation that outlaws rebuttal outright. Otherwise Common Law is meaningless, our sovereignty is meaningless. Without the protection of Common Law to robustly enforce our natural human rights and humanity's "code of conduct" in a court de jure, true freedom can never be attained. Common Law either IS or ISN'T, if it is, then it must be proven to work where it matters. That is presently, my stated opinion, right or wrong and for what it's worth.

Re: "jimtib, I can't really help you much with this"...... You already have my friends, just by you and Huntingross giving me your thoughts freely and with integrity. It doesn't matter if they are positive or negative. It doesn't matter if I'm totally wrong. If I am, I'm man enough to offer my apologies to any offended party. I'm on a learning curve and exploring possibilities.... Thank you both and everyone else who contributes to this topic. Will my (and Cromwells) idea work or not? Is there a "might or possibly? Is there another path to go down? If we can lawfully knock down the BBC the rest will crumble.

Best Wishes

James:
jimtib

Postby Farmer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 am

jimtib wrote:Re: "Just because you subscribe to cable does not mean you have a TV."..... I'm afraid so, my VM statement states all the services I receive...TV, Broadband and Phone. Those who have authority to do so (which is just about everybody in the public sector) can access that and my bank statements and if the BBC or TVLA don't, the policy-men can on receipt of a complaint or requested investigation from either.

I think you might have misunderstood me. Lets say you took out a contract to receive the service from Virgin in January. In March you lose your job and by June your TV breaks and you cannot afford to have it repaired, or you even sell it to raise some money. You still have to pay Virgin for the service. So, no TV but still getting the service till the one year contract is over. I'm just using Virgin to make the point; I don't know if you need a contract with them.
Farmer

Next

Return to T.V. Licence