DVLA admits you don't own vehicle

Discuss all of your private conveyance issues here. DVLA, Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs), MOT, Tax, Insurance, Wheelclampers and any other related topics.

DVLA admits you don't own vehicle

Postby woodman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Got this off DVLA recently, a new V5 and I didn't even ask them

V5C.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
‘Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, no one but ourselves can free our minds’- Robert Nesta Marley (1945 - 1981)

‘All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing’ - Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: DVLA admits you don't own vehicle

Postby diasan » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:47 pm

How does this amount to proof of lack of ownership?
diasan

Postby pedawson » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:03 pm

diasan, try selling YOUR vehicle without telling the DVLA.
Do you OWN a mobile phone? who do you HAVE to tell if you sell it?
Do you own a shirt? who do you tell if you have to sell it?
Do you own a private air-plane or helicopter? WHO do you have to tell if you sell THEM?

I believe THIS will go PART way to answering your question.

If you OWN anything that you have to inform someone else as to the sale of it, do you REALLY OWN IT?
If I am wrong give me an example that is contrary to my answer.

Namaste, rev;
Don't be surprised to discover that luck favours those who are prepared
pedawson

Postby frogmanbrabs » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:48 am

In REALITY DVLA own the numbers that relate to the engine,chassis and the reg number, NOT the actual metal and plastic etc that make up the physical car. In a way it's like a birth certificate. This is my opinion. If I made a car of my own and it had no numbers on the engine/chassis and no reg number how would the DVLA lay any claim to it?
An Open Mind can take you on a journey to anywhere.
frogmanbrabs

Postby Prajna » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Ah, but Froggy, if they can define it as a vehicle (and a vehicle, according to the '88 Act is defined as, you guessed it, a vehicle) then you still don't get to be the 'owner' (except in relation to any prosecutions/persecutions they wish to bring).

All you have to know is that there is absolutely no practical difference between what they are doing and a criminal act called 'extortion' and 'demanding money with menaces'. Know that and then all their fantasy, fictional bullshit dissolves.

(Doesn't mean they won't continue their criminalty though; anyone like to join Occupy Autolift next week?)

Namaste
FREEDOM Best Before: 11 Sept 2001
http://tomboy-pink.co.uk/ and http://DeclarePeace.org.uk/
Prajna

Postby diasan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:36 pm

pedawson wrote:diasan, try selling YOUR vehicle without telling the DVLA.

Namaste, rev;

Since I don't own a car, I can't speak to if there is an obligation (or even a requirement) to provide information upon the sale.

However, what happens in the following situation:

I buy a car. I let you keep it and use it. (Hence you would be the registered keeper from DVLA's perspective?)
I sell the car to my Brother. He still lets to keep it and use it. (Hence no need to change the registered keeper?)

Would DVLA claim that they need to be informed of the above sale?
diasan

Postby diasan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:39 pm

frogmanbrabs wrote:In REALITY DVLA own the numbers that relate to the engine,chassis and the reg number, NOT the actual metal and plastic etc that make up the physical car. In a way it's like a birth certificate. This is my opinion. If I made a car of my own and it had no numbers on the engine/chassis and no reg number how would the DVLA lay any claim to it?

Well, I knew someone how did that (built his own car from scratch).
However he did register it - a 'Q' plate if memory serves me.
diasan

Postby Freeman Stephen » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:32 pm

The owner of a anything has full property rights over it. The right to put it to use, to sell it, to destroy it. The dvla claims to have higher right in these matters than the people you might consider to be the owner. I can see the sense in regard to use if its to be used on government owned roads (as opposed to publicly owned roads which may not exist) but what's the difference between the dvla restricting the sale or destruction of a car and the underpants agency restricting the sale or destruction of your underpants. There is clearly a principle at work here where the people who think they own their cars are not the principle owner but at best subordinate owners with less than a fifty percent interest in the car the dvla claims property rights over that restrict what those who bought the cars can do with it.
Freeman Stephen

Postby frogmanbrabs » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:33 am

The government don't own the roads they belong to us the people . That's why they are called public roads, the government are merely looking after them for us as part of the job they were employed by us to do. Remember they are PUBLIC SERVANTS and they are in OFFICE not Power.
An Open Mind can take you on a journey to anywhere.
frogmanbrabs

Postby woodman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:38 pm

diasan wrote:However, what happens in the following situation:

I buy a car. I let you keep it and use it. (Hence you would be the registered keeper from DVLA's perspective?)
I sell the car to my Brother. He still lets to keep it and use it. (Hence no need to change the registered keeper?)

Would DVLA claim that they need to be informed of the above sale?

If you buy a car and let me keep and use it, when you come to selling it to your brother, how are you going to prove it's yours to sell to your brother if I have the car and the DVLA recognise me a registered keeper? Isn't possession 9 points of the law?

:peace:
‘Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, no one but ourselves can free our minds’- Robert Nesta Marley (1945 - 1981)

‘All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing’ - Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Motoring issues