Uninsured car rental

Discuss all of your private conveyance issues here. DVLA, Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs), MOT, Tax, Insurance, Wheelclampers and any other related topics.

Uninsured car rental

Postby Stiv.McM1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:08 pm

Hi, unsure where to post this but it is motoring related,
Rented a (4door focus) from avis on 26th may which went through fine, annoyingly they tried pawning me off wi a 3 door corsa and i refused then got it upgraded free to a new MG6.
Yesterdy (thursday 7th) i booked a car last minute at around 7pm to pickup at 10pm to start a journey at 4am for a job interview 6hours away from me.
After arriving at avis rental desk they informed me that i cannot get any car from them as i am only 22, i kindly told them i rented from them only around 3-4 weeks aho, the man checked the system and sure enough i was correct. He phoned his manager and was advised i still cannot get a car because im under (23) avis minimum age for rental, nowere on there website/T&C's does it say this.
He also informed me that the woman that let me drive the car on the 26th may let me drive off uninsured Due to 2 staff not reading my drivers licence properly and noticing my age.
So ive now missed my inteview (potentially life ruining as it was a very good job!)
Drove uninsured (which noones admitting to signing me in)
It was near impossible for me to get a new car i had to change my interview to a later time, go book a new car with national car hire, paid the £73 hire and an extra £250 damage and still have no money back from avis rental!
Where do i stand on this?
Big compensation?
Its not my falt there website doesnt state FULL T&c's and clearley says drivers aged 21+ can hire, you must be 23+ to pay. By cash or credit card and anyone 25 and under pays a young drivers feee which i was charged!
Sorry about spelling but in typing this as a passanger in a car lol!
Stiv.McM1

Re: Uninsured car rental

Postby Freeman Stephen » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:12 pm

avis owe you a refund. I would think they would be responsible for the difference in cost between their service as advertised and having already given you the impression that it was on offer to you by the former service provision. If you make an offer to contract you are obliged to honour it if someone accepts it. You aren't guilty of legal crime with no insurance as you had the impression you were insured, they on the other hand i would think are guilty of legal criminal negligence in letting you drive uninsured but in the lawful sense would have had to pay for any damage you caused if an accident had occurred and would likely have had the funds to cover it so no lawful crime has been committed even if they were negligent of a legal prohibition.While you could claim them for not getting the job you would have to show you would have got it and that you did everything in your power to prevent them being liable for the injury. It might be worth the hastle of a small claims court but it would be a lot of time and effort playing letter tennis to make a point about the lawfulness of their actions. Bear in mind this site is about law rather legality and you are probably looking for a solicitor or legal advisor rather than information about whats just and fair. I would put it down to experience and move on as theres no guarantee that their actions caused any material injury (you dont know if you would have got the job) but maybe some clever lawyer could get a buck out of it for you.
Freeman Stephen

Postby Stiv.McM1 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks for the reply stephen,
I had pretty much what you said in my mind, just needed some sort of confination on it.
Phoning them tomrrow, going to try push for something like a weeks free hire with expenses paid maybe more just see how far i can push them just for the inconvinience they caused me.
Stiv.McM1

Postby Stiv.McM1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:56 pm

So after calling and conplaining, ive been told they have to contact there legl team as i stated all there T&C's to them and it turns out this is bigger than i thought.
So i wonder whats happenin next, theyr contacting me tomorrow about it.
Stiv.McM1

Return to Motoring issues