Veg oil as Diesel fuel.

Discuss all of your private conveyance issues here. DVLA, Fixed Penalty Notices (FPNs), MOT, Tax, Insurance, Wheelclampers and any other related topics.

Re: Veg oil as Diesel fuel.

Postby no_ta » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 am

HV

It would be better to find a good supply and tip them a bob or two, than take crap for nothing you will end up a with loads of rubbish.

The cost of electrolysis to make hydrogen is very high the principle is simple, and there are no cars running on water, they could in theory, but for every pounds worth it would cost a fiver.
Meus Patria - diligo - pugna - quod - intereo pro
no_ta

Postby holy vehm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:11 am

Just found out that my local chippy has to pay £20 per week for disposal of the used oil. My offer to take it for free should be suffice, just need to find out if its hydrogenated.

What would be suitable containers to provide them with, im presuming that the company they currently use will provide them, so what should i provide?

The company where my wife works has a large on site kitchen, so we are going to ask them as well. So should be able to get a decent monthly supply.

Can anyone either provide me a step by step guide on the whole filtration process or point me in the right direction. I have a rough idea but not an exact one.

My mondeo is up for sale and ive got my eye on a couple of diesels, one is a vauxhall astra estate (1999) the other is a renualt clio (1999)
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Postby no_ta » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:21 am

HV
Any containers, metal or plastic, the system you have suggested seems OK, there are site like 'journeytoforever' and various others, I will try and find some for you, but basically youjust need to filter.
no_ta

Postby no_ta » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:41 am

HV
Here is al ink to a company who have been at it a while

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/conversionkits.html
no_ta

Postby holy vehm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks for the link, informative.

There is more to this than i initially thought.

The process of refinement and filtering is very important like removing all the animal fats that have built up in the oil as well as the water.

I like the idea of a double fuel tank system, i would have to way the cost up compared to a pre heater, a pre heater would be better so it doesnt take up boot space but the idea of switching between the two on start up ect may prove better for the car in the long run. I dont suppose it matters in hot countries but here in cheshire........
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
holy vehm

Postby holy vehm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:40 pm

Well i have spent most of the day reading through the link provided by no_ta and very informative it is too.

The easiest and cheapest is to aquire used veg oil, filter it and mix it ( I would say 50/50 with diesel ) to eliminate any probs starting and getting upto temp.

I like the idea of the two tanks but, cost and losing the boot space.

Pure veg oil, at the prices in the shops, its probably just as cheap to buy diesel.

Bio diesel, i like this idea but i must admit the inclusion of other chemicals, although sounds fairly easy, looks a bit complicated. My other problem is buying the kit and chemicals for it, wouldnt be surprised to get a visit from the police, concern i was making something that might go bang. I suppose you can buy it in most shops but the link stressed purity was vital. maybe thats just paranoia.

Depending on which suits best will determine if its worth getting pre heaters and the like, they also recommend a engine block heater. I think a 50/50 mix should work just fine on all but the most coldest of days and i think barring the odd day where it might drop below freezing i think we should be ok for now. Spring is on its way.

So ive designed my little process lab, like jonboy, in the shed/workshop, hoping to start getting together the oil and away we go. I may have to revise what cars i get, i was thinking of a clio for the wife but that may not be suitable, i might go for a golf instead. need to research that a bit more.
holy vehm

Postby no_ta » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:58 pm

HV
I wouldn't bother with the bio, its too messy, expensive to produce and you are left with dirty glycerol which despite what people say, you can do bugger all with it, you are right the caustic chemicals and methanol, ergh"!

Look for a good supply even if you have to pay a little for it, between 10 and 20p/litre is plenty for good stuff, but do your best to get it for free. Regarding new, Asda had an offer on which if I remember correctly was for Rapeseed oil and it worked out at 83p/litre (6 litres for a fiver).

An IBC at high level for main storage then let the head push through a filter, loads of filters and filter bodies on ebay, choke em and chuck em.

I had a fuel preheater on one of our trucks that ran on bio, its heated by the engine coolant and warms the diesel, supposed to give an extra 10% efficiency, but who really knows?
no_ta

Postby holy vehm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:18 pm

The one thing ive not come across which im sure i have in the past that used is better than new because the constant heating of it refines it. But looking around today i see no mention of that info, maybe its been dispelled of late i dont know.

Im going to go with the used and do a 50/50 mix to start with and see how things go, that link you provided was plenty helpful regards the process for used oil. Ive worked out a little process in the workshop and i will purchase what i need next week when the slave master pays me. Then hopefully in a couple of weeks i will have me some homebrewed fuel :yes:

Thanks for all the help and advice.
holy vehm

Postby huntingross » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:33 pm

Makes me think back to when the Milton Keynes expo (way back - 1980 maybe) had a show house with a Fiat 126 engine wired up as a generator for heat and power.

Rigging up a diesel engine with this fuel option would be an excellent way to go off grid
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby jonboy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 pm

Yeah Mark , I watched a youtube vid the other day, a guy who is filtering his own Veg oil, has a lister 2 cyl Diesel for powering his home. And one of those old Listers aint gonna be a problem on veg oil, they will run on used engine oil! A really good way of going off grid.
"Reason is the life of the law; nay, the common law itself is nothing else but reason. The law which is perfection of reason" Sir Edward Coke 1552-1634.

NO ONE RULES IF NO ONE OBEYS.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.
jonboy

PreviousNext

Return to Motoring issues