Off The Grid Community

Need help and support? Post here and we will do our best.

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby dmurphy25 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Still negotiating at the moment... what point do you think you have missed?
...one group of apes left the safety of the trees and stood upright in the tall savannah grass, some of these apes began to evolve, but most were hit by cars!
dmurphy25

Postby Freeman-B » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:41 pm

Murph I know you already have an architect and need a structural engineer - I have a friend who is a retired architect, but not sure about her other abilities. I will check and come back to this thread.

I know quite a few people who may have structural engineering qualifications too, so will put out a few questions.

Lastly, I may not be in Simon's league, but my fingers are relatively green and I'm a quick learner! :-) I'm also intent on building my own dwelling with as little impact on the surrounding environment as possible and would echo the importance of water - something that is only going to get more important as time goes on.

:peace: :love:
B
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice. Einstein
Banking doesn’t “involve” fraud...banking IS fraud. Tim Madden
Freeman-B

Postby dmurphy25 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:50 pm

You cant have too many Architects that's what I say :D

Thanks B
...one group of apes left the safety of the trees and stood upright in the tall savannah grass, some of these apes began to evolve, but most were hit by cars!
dmurphy25

Postby huntingross » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Depending what you're doing, a reasonably competent and confident architect will be able to keep you right for domestic scale projects.....the rest of it is common sense....and beyond that technical know how of an engineer may be required....it all depends on the practical skills of the individuals involved.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby MrFreeV » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:32 am

hi dave hows the project going?
Have you looked into permacuture at all? Because a permaculture 'expert' would have some interesting feedback for you no doubt. :cheer:
Gaining momentum :cheer:
Love Is Free
:peace:
MrFreeV

Postby Tiggery » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:33 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/aug/10/sustainable-housing-environment#post-area

I would love to help later on. I am not sure what relevant skills I have but we can all bring something to a community. And if anyone decides to build one of those hobbity type dwellings I'll blooming well learn whatever it takes to be part of that. Apparently we are happier and healthier in more rounded less angular buildings. My Dad constructed a straw bale place a while back. It wasn't too difficult structurally, they followed instructions downloaded from the internet.Physically it was hard work but went up quicker than bricks or cement! The family that live in it are very happy now the pest problem is under control.

Tig
“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”
Albert Camus
Tiggery

Postby dmurphy25 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:28 am

Hey Tig,

You can help straight away by joining the forum on http://www.thefreemanleague.com and contributing to the discussions and plans of the various teams.

Come on over, we'll be glad to have you aboard :D

Dave
dmurphy25

Postby Tiggery » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:32 pm

Thank you, it's done although I am never sure how transferable my many but impractical skills would be for these kind of projects. I could enteratain, feed and clean up after the troops I suppose!

I recently went to a talk given by my near neighbour Roger Dean, artist and architect. He is another who may be interested in contributing. http://www.rogerdean.com/architecture/home-for-life/home-for-life-i.html

blessings

T

xxx
“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.”
Albert Camus
Tiggery

Postby dmurphy25 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:59 pm

Hi Tigs,

Since starting this project I have heard those same words said by many people... "I don't have many useful skills" or "I'm not sure how much help I can be" etc.

Everyone has skills whether they know it or not (and the majority of people out there have no idea what they are capable of) it is only this society that has conditioned us to believe that we are only capable of doing what a piece of paper, a badge or a uniform tells us we are capable of doing. We are so much more than that, we are unlimited potential and all we need is the will to do something and the passion to see it done... that's it

My son is a good example, when his X-Box broke and I refused to buy him another he went through withdrawal and moped around for a couple of weeks but then quite suddenly discovered an interest in music and now he has an album out on iTunes, has his own production company and record label where he has signed up several other X-Box escapees... You'll never know how amazing you can be until you try and do something amazing :sun:

So, go on the forum find something you'd like to get your teeth into and get passionate about it :sun:

Dave.
dmurphy25

Postby kavs » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:42 pm

This all seems to have gone pretty quiet? checked out the website too, looks very fancy, but no recent updates! how's things heading?
xx
kavs

PreviousNext

Return to Help Wanted