Off The Grid Community

Need help and support? Post here and we will do our best.

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby Phil: C » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks Dave, I just might surprise myself and do that! :grin:
_______________________________________Phil: C
"There's no saviours hanging around" The Oyster Band
"We are normal and we want our freedom" The Bonzo Dog Band
User avatar
Phil: C
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:24 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby holy vehm » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:08 am

Hi dave, just read tamara's review, looks and sounds amazing. Really hope you can aquire the land.

A few suggestions for you if i may.
Have you considered buying a second hand excavator. This will make light work of any earth moving ect. I noticed that there are already hollows for you to build into but they will still want back filling and covering ect.
Heres a good site for all things farm machinery related.
http://www.farmingmachines.co.uk/machinery/M10182
The one listed is £3500 but you can aquire a good one for under £1000 and i have seen them for as little as £500. The main thing to watch for is the hydrualics.
You can always rent but i personally would buy one, an investment if you like. Theres no point working hard if you dont have to, use the energy somewhere else. If you do decide to buy machinery like this then i am more than happy to show you how to drive it, i do so myself, or come down and drive it for you one weekend.

Also you still need to find water. I cant tell the level of the ground but if you can find a source near the highest level or sink a bore hole near the highest level you could make yourself a small lake. From this lake you can run a channel to the lowest level and have it turn a small water wheel connected to a battery bank. The water run off can then be used for the lands water needs and for your consuption, i.e. showers ect. The whole thing can run independently using a ballcock to control the water flow at the top and a timer to control when the batteries are charged.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
User avatar
holy vehm
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:17 pm
Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby dmurphy25 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Hi Dave, great stuff, some very good ideas there, could you post this and any other great ideas on the Freeman League forum where others can discuss them and work out the feasibility etc.

Glad you joined up mate, this is the kind of thinking and problem solving we need :D

Dave
...one group of apes left the safety of the trees and stood upright in the tall savannah grass, some of these apes began to evolve, but most were hit by cars!
User avatar
dmurphy25
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 am
Location: Maidenhead

Cry for Help

Postby dmurphy25 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:14 am

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone on here who is or has experience in town planning?

Oh and I supposed while I'm here I might as well ask if you are a builder or a farmer please contact me:

dmurphy25@gmail.com

Thanks,

Dave
...one group of apes left the safety of the trees and stood upright in the tall savannah grass, some of these apes began to evolve, but most were hit by cars!
User avatar
dmurphy25
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 am
Location: Maidenhead

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby Zaniwhoop » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Not unless you count Sim City, I used to be pretty good on that :grin: Though I have often thought I could do a much better job of planning roads and junctions than the planners on the council do, some of the junctions around are severely hard to see out of etc. I'd swear some of them just don't drive around the towns they deal with enough to see obvious bottlenecks and suchlike. But hey! I don't think you're talking road planning so much here, more sort of where various resources should be located. Are we having some services centrally, like a library of keeping such thinks spread out amongst folk. Off the main grids, but with our own internal grid for mutual support. Things like school in the middle somewhere so it's easy for all to get to, a community hall/college maybe some sort of pub/cafe type of things a central supply store/shop, cinema/theater. What other sorts of establishments would people like? Oooh! I 'd like a swimming pool, that would be quite a community building project. Sorry, getting a bit carried away now, but it would be nice in the long run.
Shaw's principle.
"A government which robs Peter
to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul"

Sublato fundamento cadit opus The foundation being removed, the superstructure falls.
User avatar
Zaniwhoop
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:31 pm
Location: South West Wales

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby emmanualgoldstein » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:34 am

Zaniwhoop wrote:I have often thought I could do a much better job of planning roads and junctions than the planners on the council do


So could my 18 month old neice. :clap:
emmanualgoldstein
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby holy vehm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:50 am

Zaniwhoop wrote:Not unless you count Sim City, I used to be pretty good on that :grin: Though I have often thought I could do a much better job of planning roads and junctions than the planners on the council do, some of the junctions around are severely hard to see out of etc. I'd swear some of them just don't drive around the towns they deal with enough to see obvious bottlenecks and suchlike. But hey! I don't think you're talking road planning so much here, more sort of where various resources should be located. Are we having some services centrally, like a library of keeping such thinks spread out amongst folk. Off the main grids, but with our own internal grid for mutual support. Things like school in the middle somewhere so it's easy for all to get to, a community hall/college maybe some sort of pub/cafe type of things a central supply store/shop, cinema/theater. What other sorts of establishments would people like? Oooh! I 'd like a swimming pool, that would be quite a community building project. Sorry, getting a bit carried away now, but it would be nice in the long run.


Sounds more like a town than an off grid community :giggle:

During the victorian age certain towns and villages were built around the cart wheel design. Either a great park or libary/university at its centre with long straight roads radiating from the centre out to a ring road that runs around the entire town. Anything that is loud or smelly is placed furthest from where people live.
"A ruler who violates the law is illegitimate. He has no right to be obeyed. His commands are mere force and coercion. Rulers who act lawlessly, whose laws are unlawful, are mere criminals".
User avatar
holy vehm
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 3077
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:17 pm
Location: http://www.fmotl.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=9142

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby dmurphy25 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:43 am

holy vehm wrote:Sounds more like a town than an off grid community :giggle:

During the victorian age certain towns and villages were built around the cart wheel design. Either a great park or libary/university at its centre with long straight roads radiating from the centre out to a ring road that runs around the entire town. Anything that is loud or smelly is placed furthest from where people live.


Well it looks like we might grow to be a little bigger than I originally thought :D

This site is lucky/unlucky enough (depending on how you look at it) to have a well established set of tracks that actually suggest locations for dwellings to be constructed while originally I like the idea of following the land I thought that perhaps we might need someone to look at building locations in a less haphazard manner.

Having spoken to a top architect, I now feel we may need a structural engineer to look at what we plan to do (so that's the next call for help I'll be making on the forums)
...one group of apes left the safety of the trees and stood upright in the tall savannah grass, some of these apes began to evolve, but most were hit by cars!
User avatar
dmurphy25
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 am
Location: Maidenhead

Looking for a Structural Engineer

Postby dmurphy25 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:49 am

Do we have a Structural Engineer in our midst?

I was speaking with an Architect last night and it was strongly suggested that I speak to a Structural Engineer to check over and perhaps be involved in the Freeman League construction.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Contact me on dmurphy25@gmail.com or go to the forum on http://www.thefreemanleague.com
...one group of apes left the safety of the trees and stood upright in the tall savannah grass, some of these apes began to evolve, but most were hit by cars!
User avatar
dmurphy25
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:40 am
Location: Maidenhead

Re: Off The Grid Community

Postby Phil: C » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:51 am

Have you definitely secured the land then Dave? I thought you were still negotiating. Or have I missed a post? :puzz:
_______________________________________Phil: C
"There's no saviours hanging around" The Oyster Band
"We are normal and we want our freedom" The Bonzo Dog Band
User avatar
Phil: C
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:24 pm
Location: Stafford

PreviousNext

Return to Help Wanted

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron