need some advice concerning court fines and arrest warrents.

Need help and support? Post here and we will do our best.

need some advice concerning court fines and arrest warrents.

Postby marcus.b » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:38 pm

back in june 2014 i purchased a train ticket from a station and put it in my pocket.
i got on the train and gave the ticket to the ticket man he handed it back and i got off at my stop.
i came up to ticket barriers that wernt working and showed my ticket to the person monitoring the tickets he let me through.
i went to probation and they photocopied the ticket and reimbursed the travel.
i then went back through the same barriers again to go home.
on the train home the ticket lady asked for my ticket. with out any word spoken. she proceeded to talk to me in a abusive manner and stated " your not under the age of 16. youve got tatooes so pay what you owe".
due to my own human error i had failed to realise i had bought a child ticket. i stated to the women that i would of been willing to pay the difference that i owe but the fact that she talked to me like i was a piece of muck on her shoe and tlking to people with a bit more respect would of got a better outcome.. she then continued to talk to me abusively and rang the british transport police.
when i got off my stop i walked straight to the officers that were waiting on the platform knowing they were there for me.i spoke to the three. and explained what had happened and they allowed me to leave.

i recieved a court letter summoning me to court almost year later for part payment of a train ticket and unnacceptable behaviour on a rail way.
i attended court when requested in march i believe 2015 and gave a no plea and they adjurned for me to seek legal advice. as i carnt pay for a solicitor and legal aid doesnt cover me no solicitor would help me. i went back to court in the june to attend court again however arriving at the ushers desk to give my name the ushers failed to find my name on any of their court boards. one usher however managed to come and see me and stated that they had adjourned the case again to the following month. and that they had sent a letter out which i didnt recieve.
i arrived in july at the adjourned date. i walked to the ushers desk and gave my name. yet again they could not find my name. i explained what had happened last time so a usher went to find out if this may of happened again.
when the usher returned she stated to me that the court had already been sat on the date in june and they issues me with a fine of £843.85 for court costs, compensation to the lady (for what i do not know) and for me to pay the £3.85 left on the ticket.

on the 8th of august 2015 i was recalled back to prison and was re released in janurary 2016 by the secutary of state.
while in prison i asked a member of the prison staff who help people arrange to pay fines while in prison and i offered to pay out of my prison wages a percentage each week to help start paying it off. however the lady after ringing the court stated to me that as i was serving a custodial sentance the court has squashed my fines as the time i would have left to serve was far greater than anything they could give for fines. i have now recieved 2 letters from this court after my release summoning me to court and now sending me a letter stating they have issued an warrent for my arrest. which is a bit confusing besause the date it ses it has been typed is the 6th of july 2016 yet the date at the bottom in the footer stated the 7th july 2016

any help would be very appreciated.
thankyou for taking the time to read this.
marcus.b

Re: need some advice concerning court fines and arrest warrents.

Postby MikeThomas » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:20 am

WOW! That's quite a lot going on!

Firstly, I would challenge why it took them a year to charge you. I'm sure that there is a time limit of six months.

Meanwhile, gather all information from prison etc and present to the court when they summon you or arrest you under warrant.
We are the people our parents told us NOT TO PLAY WITH
MikeThomas

Postby marcus.b » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:59 am

Thankyou for the previous help.
Since this reply i queried this with the court and i hadd no new correspondance from the court till about 2week ago.
The court after agreeing that i had already payed the fine through serving time have now decided they still want to take the money for the fine.
I have tried on several occasions now to show my findings further to the court. And show the proof that i hav already payed via a custodial yet the fines office pass me about till i iver am confused and tell me im gunna have to pay it or they take my phone number and state they will call me as soon as they can find out more about whats going on.
Im in between a rock and a hard place.
Any help you kan give would be much appreciated
Thankyou for your time..
marcus.b

Postby cassandra » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:45 am

marcus.b wrote:Thankyou for the previous help.
Since this reply i queried this with the court and i hadd no new correspondance from the court till about 2week ago.
The court after agreeing that i had already payed the fine through serving time have now decided they still want to take the money for the fine.
I have tried on several occasions now to show my findings further to the court. And show the proof that i hav already payed via a custodial yet the fines office pass me about till i iver am confused and tell me im gunna have to pay it or they take my phone number and state they will call me as soon as they can find out more about whats going on.
Im in between a rock and a hard place.
Any help you kan give would be much appreciated
Thankyou for your time..

First your conviction. Section 14 of the Magistrates court act says that any procedure done without your knowledge is null and void so if they held a trial in june, didn't tell you or told you it was not going on, then section 14 applies. Write a statutory declaration to this effect and hand it in to court with your claim for compensation. Don't just give it an usher but inist on seeing the magistrate yourself. Stat decs disappear sometimes and ushers are homeless people dragged from a pub to help out. Few are any good at the job.

Demanding money from you without just cause is extortion.
For all the times they messed you about - wasted time in court; supplying false information, causing you distress and alarm etc. you should apply a fee schedule.
They have been negligent in their duties and have damaged your legal rights by misinforming you of trial dates etc.
Cassandra.
cassandra

Return to Help Wanted