Council Tax - Final Notice

Council Tax - Final Notice

Postby cousland » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:25 pm

Hello everyone,

My mother got a letter from the council saying her council tax is overdue. She is not a freeman. To be honest she neither has the will or ability to understand the freeman movement. I would just like to ask for some advice to help her to not make the matter any worse. Unfortunately she took her time actually telling me the council were bothering her about this so the SEVEN days from the date of issue of the notice have already passed. I will provide the gist the letter here:

"If you do not make payment, a court summons will be issued and £48.00 will be added to your account plus a further £27.00 will be added if a Liability Order is obtained at the Magistrates' Court. This is your final reminder and legal proceeding will be taken without further warning if you do not pay the outstanding amount."

The "outstanding amount", by the way is only £29.57. If they add their charges it will be over £100, almost quadrupling the 'debt'.

It's probably too late to stop this now but any advice as to how I can limit the damage would be welcome.
cousland

Re: Council Tax - Final Notice

Postby knightron » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:44 pm

I know I will probably be lambasted for saying this, :ouch: but to save her the hastle, pay the £29.57p directly to the council..Don't pay debt collectors anything...

In my own opinion it can be proved that the council is acting unlawfully, obtaining orders to pay anything..but as you say your mum dosn't want or need the hastle. They will play on this fact, and cause as much grief as they can in order to make her pay..It amounts to nothing less than demanding money with menaces, and if you or I did this we would be rightfully locked up for it..

Magistrates have no jurisdiction in civil cases (which this is) unless you agree to let them "Arbitrate" between you and the council for which they will of course charge you a fee for their services..Its is a dispicable situation and needs redressing ..Sorry if its not what you wanted to hear mate, but that is how I see it and my opinion of your situation..

This is not legal advice as I am not qualified to give it... :shake: :hug:
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
knightron

Re: Council Tax - Final Notice

Postby cousland » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 pm

Thanks for the comments.

At this point, she is still dealing with the council. She has been paying council tax for years, but recently she lost some money and so couldn't pay the rent and council tax in full. The council should take this into account and lay off, but of course they're just robots. She will pay the 'bill', but I was hoping to help her avoid paying the extra 'charges'.
cousland

Return to Council tax only