Woodman gets arrested for the first time ever

Discuss issues relating to the Police Force.

Re: Woodman gets arrested for the first time ever

Postby woodman » Thu May 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Veronica wrote:
woodman wrote:The desk sergeant asked me did I understand, Im sure you all dont need me to tell you my reply.

I hope you said "No, I don't stand under".

(1) There is no general legal duty to assist the police or to obey police instructions. Rice v Connolly [1966] 2 QB 414.

That's what I said, then I was stripped searched and led to a cell, where I spent the next four hours.
‘Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, no one but ourselves can free our minds’- Robert Nesta Marley (1945 - 1981)

‘All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing’ - Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Veronica » Thu May 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Well, Woody, in that case you have absolute right on your side. And, that being the case, you should be able to take them to the cleaners. All you need is justice. The question is: "Is there any left?". (Don't forget to quote Rice .v. Connelly ... which was back in the days when there was some)
Freedom's just another word for: "Nothing left to lose" (Janis Joplin)
"There is no path to peace, peace IS the path" (Mahatma Ghandi)
"There is no path to freedom, freedom IS the path" (Veronica Chapman)
Veronica
Founder
Founder

Postby woodman » Thu May 28, 2009 9:26 pm

Veronica wrote:Well, Woody, in that case you have absolute right on your side. And, that being the case, you should be able to take them to the cleaners. All you need is justice.

That's exactly the thought I held in my mind whilst locked up in a cell for four hours, and that thought is what got me through it. :peace:
‘Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, no one but ourselves can free our minds’- Robert Nesta Marley (1945 - 1981)

‘All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing’ - Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)
woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Hooplescat » Thu May 28, 2009 9:27 pm

woodman wrote:
Hooplescat wrote:assuming you didn't swear, tell them to fuck off, wave your arms at them aggressively or tell them you were going to spark them out I can't see what angle they are coming from. What was the final thing you said immediately before they told you that you were under arrest? Seems like a bit of a cheap shot. :puzz:

I never swore, told them to FO, or was I in any way aggressive. I said, why have you stopped me? and then I said that I shouldn't have to give my name yet, as I had not been informed as to why I was stopped and I hadn't committed any offence. I was then told that I was coming with them, dragged off and pushed into the van.

The road traffic act covers them for demanding your name - they are allowed to demand it of a car driver, unlike if you are just walking along. But they still have to demonstrate that someone would be likely to be caused harassment alarm or distress to nick you under s5, and by your account you didn't do that. You might have been better not accepting the PND, but I understand why you did.
Hooplescat

Postby huntingross » Thu May 28, 2009 9:39 pm

Interestingly Hoop, he was a pedestrian when they treated him to their brand of consumer centred care.

The statute comment about the RTA will pass by for now.
Success nourishes hope
huntingross

Postby woodman » Thu May 28, 2009 9:49 pm

Hooplescat wrote:
woodman wrote:
Hooplescat wrote:assuming you didn't swear, tell them to fuck off, wave your arms at them aggressively or tell them you were going to spark them out I can't see what angle they are coming from. What was the final thing you said immediately before they told you that you were under arrest? Seems like a bit of a cheap shot. :puzz:

I never swore, told them to FO, or was I in any way aggressive. I said, why have you stopped me? and then I said that I shouldn't have to give my name yet, as I had not been informed as to why I was stopped and I hadn't committed any offence. I was then told that I was coming with them, dragged off and pushed into the van.

The road traffic act covers them for demanding your name - they are allowed to demand it of a car driver, unlike if you are just walking along. But they still have to demonstrate that someone would be likely to be caused harassment alarm or distress to nick you under s5, and by your account you didn't do that. You might have been better not accepting the PND, but I understand why you did.

Aren't you jumping ahead there Hoops, it's polite for a Police Officer to explain who he is, show ID if necessary, explain the reasons for the stop and treat the "person" with respect. Once that had been covered, I would have given my name. In any case, I provided my name and address and date of birth when the Officer asked me a 2nd time, he then said a number of things, before saying he did not believe I was, who I said I was, and slapped on the handcuffs.

After various abuse, I was put in a cell for 4 hours and I wanted out!

I acknowledged reciept of a notice requesting that I must pay £80 or request a hearing and they let me go. Well, I'm not going to pay £80 and I am not going to stand for this legalised terrorism.

I apologise for the tone here, but I'm angry, and right now there are two of the same Police vans parked a few yards away from my house, and I'm not sure why. :grr:

woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby woodman » Thu May 28, 2009 9:57 pm

huntingross wrote:Interestingly Hoop, he was a pedestrian when they treated him to their brand of consumer centred care.

Yes, I agree there. I have good reason to believe this, but I will save it for court.

woodman
Administrator
Administrator

Postby kevin » Thu May 28, 2009 10:04 pm

woodman wrote:.

I apologise for the tone here, but I'm angry, . :grr:

you have good reason to be aswell, i have noticed these days most police are agressive from the off, there is no talking and they dont listen to you, i work with a 65 year old who nearly got arrested when he called the police after some youths threatened him, when they arrived he was angry as the youths had threatened to beat the **** out of him so the threatened to arrest him "to keep the peace"

lets say his respect for the police went straight out of the window :grr:
kevin

Postby blacklight » Thu May 28, 2009 10:19 pm

If you do not have them, I would request you (or your solicitor) ensure you have the names/badge numbers of all officers concerned (for their notebooks, obviously). I would also request the video evidence they should have had running (if in a traffic car) to backup their reasons for stopping you, as that would have their voices with running commentary.

If those are not there, it's down to your word versus their (multiple) words. Your mobile phone (if switched on) will show (roughly) where you were, at what time you were there, and (maybe) what speeds you were doing to get between the points.

I presume you don't (come across as) appear(ing to be) threatening? (any excuse and all that)

Maybe, pass along to http://bastardoldholborn.blogspot.com/ - as he's quite up on highlighting police/government issues recently, having issued public arrest warrants for various MPs and being on the Beeb for demonstrating outside parliament...
blacklight

Postby woodman » Thu May 28, 2009 10:36 pm

blacklight wrote:If you do not have them, I would request you (or your solicitor) ensure you have the names/badge numbers of all officers concerned (for their notebooks, obviously). I would also request the video evidence they should have had running (if in a traffic car) to backup their reasons for stopping you, as that would have their voices with running commentary.

If those are not there, it's down to your word versus their (multiple) words. Your mobile phone (if switched on) will show (roughly) where you were, at what time you were there, and (maybe) what speeds you were doing to get between the points.

I presume you don't (come across as) appear(ing to be) threatening? (any excuse and all that)

Maybe, pass along to http://bastardoldholborn.blogspot.com/ - as he's quite up on highlighting police/government issues recently, having issued public arrest warrants for various MPs and being on the Beeb for demonstrating outside parliament...

Yes, it is my intention to obtain video evidence from the stop, video evidence from the Police station and the statements of Officers.

I did not commit a traffic offence, I asked a question that's all, I wasn't threatening in any way.

:police: Update on the Police vechicle outside my house, broken down, just been towed away on a truck. :yes: :peace:

woodman
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Police Jurisdiction